HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » International » Canada (Group) » Stephen Harper shouted do...

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 05:18 AM

Stephen Harper shouted down for saying NDP didn’t support fight against Hitler

God help me, I'm posting a National Post article here of all places, because they seem to be having the same reaction I am:

Prime Minister Stephen Harper was shouted down during a debate in question period Thursday on the Afghanistan mission for suggesting the NDP – not yet in existence – didn’t even support Canada’s military involvement in the Second World War.

NDP Leader Thomas Mulcair was asking Harper if he intended to extend the Afghanistan mission past 2014 after a Postmedia News report Wednesday said U.S officials had asked Canadian special forces to stay past the withdrawal date.

The prime minister responded the NDP has a pacifistic ideology “regardless of circumstances” and his government would make the right decision for Afghanistan’s security.

“In 1939, the NDP leader didn’t even want to support the fight against Hitler,” Harper said, before being drowned out by cat calls.

2 replies, 832 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Stephen Harper shouted down for saying NDP didn’t support fight against Hitler (Original post)
Posteritatis Apr 2012 OP
JBoy Apr 2012 #1
Posteritatis Apr 2012 #2

Response to Posteritatis (Original post)

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 10:53 PM

1. Godwin's Law rules again

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

Actually it's the corollary to Godwin's law - whoever makes the comparison with Hitler loses the debate.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to JBoy (Reply #1)

Sat Apr 28, 2012, 09:25 AM

2. And in this case he gets bonus points for being more than 100% incorrect. (nt)

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread