HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » International » Canada (Group) » Quebec nationalist protes...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Dec 22, 2011, 02:07 PM

Quebec nationalist protest planned for upcoming Habs' game

(Canadian Press) A pair of Quebec nationalist groups are planning a protest at an upcoming Montreal Canadiens game.

The small groups, Mouvement Québec français and Mouvement Montreal français, intend to make themselves heard at a Jan. 7 game against the Tampa Bay Lightning.

They are upset at the Habs for hiring a coach who can't speak French, ex-NHL forward Randy Cunneyworth.

They will hand out small Quebec flags outside the Bell Centre and encourage fans to wave them throughout the game.

full: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2011/12/22/sp-nhl-canadiens-protest.html

5 replies, 866 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Quebec nationalist protest planned for upcoming Habs' game (Original post)
alp227 Dec 2011 OP
Joe Shlabotnik Dec 2011 #1
CHIMO Dec 2011 #3
JBoy Dec 2011 #2
Joe Shlabotnik Dec 2011 #4
CHIMO Dec 2011 #5

Response to alp227 (Original post)

Thu Dec 22, 2011, 05:24 PM

1. No disrespect to Quebecers,

But c'mon, this isn't the 1950's, how many Quebec born players are even on the team anymore? This sounds like a pathetic political stunt by a bunch of Bloc supporters.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Joe Shlabotnik (Reply #1)

Thu Dec 22, 2011, 06:38 PM

3. They

Are not the Montreal Maroones!

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 22, 2011, 06:25 PM

2. I can understand their disappointment

The Canadiens are an institution, and the coach is the primary spokesperson to the media about the team. If the coach can't communicate about the team to the French media except through a translator, that doesn't bode well. From that point of view it's not a great business decision, either.

Molson (the team's owner) says it's just "interim", and that the permanent head coach will speak French. Cunnyworth is/was the coach of the Canadien's farm team.

Too bad they got rid of Alain Vigneault. He took us to the cup last year, and will win it for us this year!!

Reply to this post

Response to JBoy (Reply #2)

Thu Dec 22, 2011, 07:15 PM

4. I get what your saying

But the nationalism aspect is all smoke and mirrors. If it were THAT important then the Canadiens would only draft French players, and would be consistently at the bottom of the league, and consequently have no fans. (Not knocking young French players, but there's not enough to fill a roster like when there was only 6 teams, (and the I think the Habs had some deal with NHL for dibs on French players)).

The fact that Cunnyworth is the interim coach is key to my argument that a bitter bunch of nationalists are making a big deal out of nothing.

I'd make a snarky remark about the Canucks, but being a life-long Leaf fan, I'll just keep my mouth shut! lol

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 22, 2011, 08:37 PM

5. The return of language politics

All quiet on the Quebec front? After the rout suffered by the Bloc Québécois on May 2 and the descent of the Parti Québécois into self-inflicted oblivion, that’s what the casual observer of Quebec politics might believe. Although sovereignists have little to do with it, language politics is back.

The latest and most visible language flare-up is the nomination of a unilingual anglophone as “interim head coach” to rescue the Montreal Canadiens after a pitiful start to a long season.

Big mistake. Editorials in all major newspapers in Montreal have denounced the nomination, politicians of all parties have weighed in, and polls show that three out of four Quebecers find it unacceptable.

Most commentators concur that the Canadiens are not just another hockey team. They are an institution that belongs to the people of Quebec, so it matters that the team’s point man be able to talk directly to the average Quebec fan.

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorialopinion/article/1105989--the-return-of-language-politics

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread