HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » International » Canada (Group) » The Harper government is ...

Wed Feb 22, 2012, 04:58 PM

The Harper government is out of control and I feel threatened...

...to the extent that I'm reluctant to complain. I had a mailout from our MP today assuring me that my OAP (old age pension) is safe and aren't I glad that they are doing such good work on my behalf. Of course I'm not glad that they are still bound and determined to send me to jail for 6 months for using MMJ.

I was a notorious critic in my past but I always had a public forum with which to express myself. Nowadays, the only way to complain is here, or writing directly to my MP which, for all practical purposes is inviting retaliation.

Tomorrow night I'm going to hear Thomas Mulcair speak. Hopefully that will restore some sanity.....

6 replies, 1200 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply The Harper government is out of control and I feel threatened... (Original post)
CanSocDem Feb 2012 OP
GreenPartyVoter Feb 2012 #1
CanSocDem Feb 2012 #2
grasswire Feb 2012 #3
CanSocDem Feb 2012 #4
Joe Shlabotnik Feb 2012 #5
TrogL Feb 2012 #6

Response to CanSocDem (Original post)

Wed Feb 22, 2012, 05:10 PM

1. I am so sorry that your nation also jumped on the RW bandwagon. *hugs*

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to GreenPartyVoter (Reply #1)

Wed Feb 22, 2012, 05:24 PM

2. No kidding.

It was looking like they were content to ride the bandwagon but now they seem to have a delusional belief that they're leading the parade. Despite advice from the USA about the folly of mandatory minimum sentences, our justice minister Rob Nicholson said the law, which includes mandatory minimum sentences for drug offences, is "very targeted."

"We develop our criminal law legislation looking at the experiences from around the world, from Britain and other countries," Nicholson said at a news conference Wednesday in Regina.

"But again, ours is a Canadian solution to Canadian issues and we make no apology for that."

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 22, 2012, 05:25 PM

3. what's MMJ?

How DID the RW take over, anyhoo? (In brief)

Were the elections stolen, like they were in the US?

Reply to this post

Response to grasswire (Reply #3)

Wed Feb 22, 2012, 05:40 PM

4. Medical Marijuana.

To be fair they were duly elected. The vagaries of a parliamentary system allow them to take control with considerably less than a majority of the citizens vote. And they are using the lack of a strong opposition to enact their wildest ideologies.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 22, 2012, 08:29 PM

5. I agree with the sentiment about fear of retaliation.

I don't trust these greasy bastards either. I would love to directly challenge my MP more often (I know him personally from growing up attending the same church, and then later in the small business sphere), but unless you are a squeaky clean citizen in Every Way, I can see trouble. These neo-con, tough on crime, family values, uber-religious conservatives are ruthless, and unrelenting.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 22, 2012, 09:27 PM

6. I hope he wins the leadership

He was in town and I missed hearing him speak

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread