HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » International » Canada (Group) » Infected salmon declared ...

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 08:41 PM

Infected salmon declared fit for human consumption by Canadian Food Inspection Agency

For the first time, Canada’s food safety regulator is allowing Nova Scotia salmon infected with a flu-like virus to be processed for supermarkets and restaurants.

Last week the Canadian Food Inspection Agency declared fit for human consumption 240,000 Atlantic salmon with infectious salmon anemia — a disease it says poses no risk to human heath. The ruling is the first time the CFIA has opted not to destroy fish carrying the virus since it started regulating the fish farming industry in 2005.

Because the U.S. won’t import fish with the virus, the fresh whole salmon, fillets and steaks will have to find dinner plates to land on somewhere in Canada.

Alexandra Morton, a marine biologist, says infectious salmon anemia is an influenza-type virus and can mutate in unpredictable ways, especially if it comes into contact with another flu virus in a human being.
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2013/02/01/infected_salmon_declared_fit_for_human_consumption_by_canadian_food_inspection_agency.html

2 replies, 751 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Infected salmon declared fit for human consumption by Canadian Food Inspection Agency (Original post)
CHIMO Feb 2013 OP
JBoy Feb 2013 #1
laundry_queen Feb 2013 #2

Response to CHIMO (Original post)

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 09:12 PM

1. You know when they've invented an acronym - ISA, for the disease

that you've got a problem.

I suggest a case of it be delivered for Harper's next cabinet dinner.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to CHIMO (Original post)

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 03:07 PM

2. Geez

Influenza is one of those viruses that is adept at jumping the species barrier. Too much risk. Sobey's is trying but it sounds like it won't matter because they won't know which fish have it and which don't.

I'm going to have to take up fishing again and just get my own fish. Sheesh.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread