HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » International » Canada (Group) » Police vetting of jury po...

Thu Nov 22, 2012, 05:03 AM

Police vetting of jury pool gets murder conviction tossed

This is EXTREMELY disconcerning, not just because of the fact a man who might have committed a capital crime is set free, but because this is as close to a police state as one can get; interference in the judicial system. This is truly the type of actions that systems of tyranny and extreme inequality employ. A request by the crown Attorney to do background checks on potential jurors? This person should not only lose his job but should be taken to court for obstruction of justice. What if this man was wrongfully sent to prison based on the jury being "set up"? I would not for one second put this past those who operate in the Canadian system.

I am someone who is quite familiar with the workings of the security apparatus in this country. So much so that I launched a lawsuit unsuccessfully, but it was evident to me, that there was not going to be anything resembling justice. In fact, in my case the defendants (CSIS and he RMP) did not even plead, when I requested information that they held on me I was not responded to, they simply put a motion to throw my case out, in effect avoiding any persecution or accountability. Remember this was before we were even able to enter the courtroom, the Crown Attorney showed a disregard for truth and justice...a "win at all costs, f-_-_k the Charter of Rights" policy plagued any hope of honest discourse. This attitude is overtly expressed in the past court proceedings of ALL levels of the police establishment from CSIS actively spying on their private discussions with their lawyer (after being ordered by a judge not to) to members of the RCMP lying under oath. How can those who abuse this system even pretend to be honest and democratic?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2012/11/21/toronto-jury-vetting.html

A man accused of kidnapping and slitting a woman's throat has had his murder conviction quashed because prosecutors and police acted improperly when it came to jury selection at his trial.

In ordering a new hearing for Clare Spiers, Ontario's top court said Wednesday an examination of how potential jurors were vetted creates a "troubling picture" of damaging collusion between Crown and police that amounted to a miscarriage of justice.

"This picture is one of unfairness in the jury-selection process," the Ontario Court of Appeal said.

2 replies, 921 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Police vetting of jury pool gets murder conviction tossed (Original post)
shockedcanadian Nov 2012 OP
Howler Nov 2012 #1
Joe Shlabotnik Nov 2012 #2

Response to shockedcanadian (Original post)

Thu Nov 22, 2012, 09:58 AM

1. Damn.....Just Damn.

I just wonder how many other trials that these back ground checks have been done on potential juror's.
Thats big brother alright.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to shockedcanadian (Original post)

Thu Nov 22, 2012, 02:03 PM

2. Once again,

the CBC isn't allowing comments on an article critical of the police. As much as I believe there is a real need for the CBC in today's biased media market, it kills me that discussion about police and judicial corruption is always verboten. I guess a "negative attitude to law enforcement" is frowned upon by our nation's broadcaster too. Wonder why.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread