HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » International » Canada (Group) » Harper among least truste...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 06:25 PM

Harper among least trusted leaders, poll shows

Quelle surprise!

Canadians are slowly losing trust in Parliament and political parties, and share some of the toughest views in the American hemisphere about their national leader, according to a new 26-country survey.

The survey by The Environics Institute, part of an investigation into political attitudes in 26 countries in the Americas, found that Canadians have been shedding some of their optimistic and positive views on politics and government.

The survey found only 16 per cent of Canadians place “a lot of trust” in their Prime Minister, putting Stephen Harper near the bottom among all leaders in the Americas.

“In an international context, Harper has a lower level of trust than almost every other national leader in the hemisphere,” Mr. Neuman said.

The levels of trust are also low for the Canadian Parliament (17 per cent), political parties (10 per cent) and mass media (6 per cent).


http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/harper-among-least-trusted-leaders-poll-shows/article5187774/


C'mon, how could you not trust a face like this...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Ok, Warning.... beyond cringe-worthy
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.


TRUST ME

6 replies, 1644 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Harper among least trusted leaders, poll shows (Original post)
Joe Shlabotnik Nov 2012 OP
regnaD kciN Nov 2012 #1
rationalcalgarian Nov 2012 #3
Ken Burch Nov 2012 #5
rationalcalgarian Nov 2012 #2
arikara Nov 2012 #4
Ken Burch Nov 2012 #6

Response to Joe Shlabotnik (Original post)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 06:40 PM

1. So, how come he not only got re-elected...

...but given an outright parliamentary majority?



Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to regnaD kciN (Reply #1)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 06:46 PM

3. Conservatives elected with 39%

the other parties shared the 61%

The government is formed by whichever party garners more votes than any other party. It is possible to win a majority government with even less popularity. Imagine a constituency with ten political parties. One party get 12% and, miraculously, the other nine split the remaining 88% evenly. That mean the party with 12% is more popular than any other party and is, therefore, the winner, even though 88% of the voting public didn't want that party to win.

Get enough constituencies split like this, and you've got a majority government even though, like the current Harper government, most of the country does not want them there!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to regnaD kciN (Reply #1)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 07:13 PM

5. The first-past-the-post electoral system

If Canada had had pr, Harper would be been replaced by an NDP-Liberal coalition(unless the Liberals had decided to disgrace themselves eternally by JOINING Harper in a coalition).

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Joe Shlabotnik (Original post)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 06:40 PM

2. cringe

and shudder (for good measure)

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Joe Shlabotnik (Original post)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:29 PM

4. That closeup is appalling

and his makup is obvious, eyeliner, lip liner and lipstick. The chairman is such a creep.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to arikara (Reply #4)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 07:13 PM

6. I'm now picturing Harper singing "Welkommen, Bienvenue, Welcome..."

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread