HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Wisconsin (Group) » Northern Wisconsin mine
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 07:12 PM

Northern Wisconsin mine

Two members of the Bad River Tribe will be in Wausau Thursday, January 10 at 6:00 PM to discuss the mine. It will be held at the Labor Temple on South 3rd Avenue.

5 replies, 1000 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Northern Wisconsin mine (Original post)
HelenWheels Jan 2013 OP
Lifelong Protester Jan 2013 #1
madrchsod Jan 2013 #2
ewagner Jan 2013 #3
HelenWheels Jan 2013 #5
milwaukeelib33 Jan 2013 #4

Response to HelenWheels (Original post)

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 08:07 PM

1. K & R for vis.

I live on the other side of the state, so cannot attend, but I am following this.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 09:19 PM

2. i do`t get it.....

i know the walker boys want to ruin the land up there but is there a concerted effort by the people up there to fight this to the end? i have been up there a few times and i know people who have summer cabins-homes in the area.
i can`t imagine this land ruined by mining. trading a few jobs for the destruction of the tourist trade is certainly short sided for the rest of this century.

Reply to this post

Response to madrchsod (Reply #2)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 06:52 AM

3. The area has been economically depressed

for a long, long time....

there is a large portion of the population who see the promise of jobs as another boom for the area and they are rabid supporters of the mine..

Reply to this post

Response to ewagner (Reply #3)

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 09:35 PM

5. Not so many jobs

The Tribe members say they estimate about 100 local jobs. Many of the workers will be brought in from other areas and most of the work will be done by them. Most of the work will consist of work done by machines which don't require large amounts of workers.

I will find out more on Thursday.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 8, 2013, 03:33 PM

4. Vos & Co are likely to slam this through pronto

Vos said that the Assembly mining proposal would be nearly identical to the bill that previously failed in the Senate, but that it would see changes. A hearing will be held by the end of January, he said.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/state-lawmakers-open-new-session-with-gop-in-control-3q89djj-185892081.html

The same crap bill that we were spared from thanks to Sen Dale Shultz. Except this time his opposition will not be able to stop it. So likely little or no public hearings, amendments, and will probably ram this through in the wee hours of the morning.

Time to voice opposition will be scant so get on the phone with your legislators and mail those LTEs now.

Bad River tribe in Milwaukee tonight. I'll be there. Will you?

http://www.facebook.com/events/129318133895545/?suggestsessionid=1000047464525581357675990

Rally in Madison on Sunday being organized by Overpass Light Brigade:

http://www.facebook.com/events/129318133895545/?suggestsessionid=1000047464525581357675990

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread