HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Wisconsin (Group) » When watchdog journalism ...

Thu Jun 21, 2012, 08:28 PM

When watchdog journalism attacks (downward spiral of Milw. Urinal/sentinal)

http://onmilwaukee.com/buzz/articles/jswatchdogstories.html

Let's get one thing straight before we even get started.

I love newspapers. I grew up on a newspaper. I worked for many years at what was once one of the very best local newspapers in the country. I'm very comfortable with a newspaper.

And, I understand newspapers.
That's why today we've got to take a look at the incredible war the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel is waging against the police chief of the City of Milwaukee, along with a couple of other examples of why this paper has fallen so far, so fast.

There is no dispute that the paper is engaged in what, to some people, looks like a campaign to discredit Chief Ed Flynn and the rest of his department.

There have been a steady series of stories what they call "Watchdog" stories about things in the department that have left a clear impression. The paper has left the impression that Flynn is easy on cops who break the law and that he has fudged statistics that show a drop in crime in the city.

1 replies, 887 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply When watchdog journalism attacks (downward spiral of Milw. Urinal/sentinal) (Original post)
hue Jun 2012 OP
elfin Jun 2012 #1

Response to hue (Original post)

Thu Jun 21, 2012, 10:43 PM

1. Agree

reduced my sub to Sunday only after they endorsed the Weasel the first time. Then quit altogether not long after.

Used to get both Sentinel and Journal before the merger. Many of their best "retired" then and the quality never returned.

Now nothing worth reading a whole article online to use up their minimum.

Only saving grace - once a month Gurda column. Won't be long before they scrap him, given his outspoken opinion against the weasel walker.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread