HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » West Virginia (Group) » Capito to run against Roc...

Sun Nov 25, 2012, 11:27 PM

Capito to run against Rockefeller for Senator from WV

CHARLESTON, W. Va. (AP) - Republican U.S. Rep. Shelley Moore Capito is reportedly planning to run for the U.S. Senate in two years.

There has been speculation for sometime that she may run. She is expected to announce her candidacy Monday morning at the State Capitol.

Democratic Sen. Jay Rockefeller has held the seat since 1984, but hasn't said whether he will run again in 2014.

http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/Capito-Plans-to-Run-for-US-Senate-2014-180784561.html

This could give us a great chance to win back her House seat. But I am concerned about Rockefeller's Senate seat. He is 75 years old, and he and his wife Sharon are not in good health. He has always won comfortably, receiving at least 63 percent of the vote each time after his first election. If he does not run, there is not a strong bench of candidates with state-wide name recognition.

Any thoughts, my fellow West Virginians?

2 replies, 749 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Capito to run against Rockefeller for Senator from WV (Original post)
Staph Nov 2012 OP
Lasher Nov 2012 #1
MadAnne Nov 2012 #2

Response to Staph (Original post)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 07:54 PM

1. Poor timing on her part, methinks.

Within the next two years the economy shall have recovered significantly. By then it will not be a good time for a GOPee candidate. OTOH WV is trending more conservative. I was hoping we'd win back the House seat in WV-01 this time but that didn't happen.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Staph (Original post)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 09:50 PM

2. I was thinking Rockefeller

Was not going to run. His statements about coal haven't improved his popularity. Will the State Democratic Party do anything to help him? They weren't real helpful to McGraw, Swint, or Thorn. Where will Joe Manchin be? Democrats for Capito? Both McGraws gone, Jorea Marple fired, eleven new Republicans in the House.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread