HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Washington (Group) » Progressive talk leaving ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:03 PM

Progressive talk leaving the Seattle airways in January...

...as parent corporation CBS Radio is changing the format of AM1090 to "CBS Sports."

If you want to preserve a progressive option on Seattle radio, check out the link below:

https://www.facebook.com/KeepProgressiveTalkInSeattle

30 replies, 5676 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 30 replies Author Time Post
Reply Progressive talk leaving the Seattle airways in January... (Original post)
regnaD kciN Nov 2012 OP
eridani Nov 2012 #1
haikugal Nov 2012 #2
msongs Nov 2012 #3
regnaD kciN Nov 2012 #7
chknltl Nov 2012 #20
Phlem Nov 2012 #22
rhett o rick Dec 2012 #28
tblue Nov 2012 #4
Webster Green Dec 2012 #26
Johnny Noshoes Dec 2012 #27
PearliePoo2 Nov 2012 #5
regnaD kciN Nov 2012 #9
GP6971 Nov 2012 #6
regnaD kciN Nov 2012 #8
rhett o rick Dec 2012 #29
eridani Nov 2012 #10
regnaD kciN Nov 2012 #12
eridani Nov 2012 #13
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin Nov 2012 #19
Twinguard Nov 2012 #11
regnaD kciN Nov 2012 #14
alp227 Nov 2012 #15
alp227 Nov 2012 #16
eridani Nov 2012 #17
eridani Nov 2012 #18
CarrieLynne Nov 2012 #21
lordsummerisle Dec 2012 #23
eridani Dec 2012 #24
eridani Dec 2012 #25
eridani Dec 2012 #30

Response to regnaD kciN (Original post)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:06 PM

1. Just heard that by email

Liberal Talk Format On 1090 AM To Be Replaced By Sports
Andrew Skotdal, Managing Editor
KRKO/KXA/EverettPost.com

KPTK 1090 AM will drop its liberal talk format sometime in the next 90 days. Syndicators of programs heard on the station have received cancellation letters from CBS and are currently reaching out to local radio stations to find a new home for the programming. According to one syndicator who asked not to be named, CBS is eliminating content that is not their own in favor of combining 1090 AM's Seattle signal into a larger network of CBS and Cumulus radio stations around the country in an effort to create a radio platform of size and scale that is equivalent to ESPN's. 1090 AM will become Seattle's fourth all sports radio station alongside Fox Sports 1380 (KRKO-AM), 710 ESPN Seattle (KIRO-AM), and SportsRadio 950 (KJR-AM). The syndicator further confirmed that 1090 will offer a local, afternoon drive sports talk program. No word from anyone at CBS, Seattle.

1090 AM is currently the Seattle home of Stephanie Miller, Thom Hartmann, Bill Press, Randi Rhodes, and Mike Malloy. It is unlikely any of those programs will find a home on a major signal in the Seattle market. Sandusky Radio operates 880 AM KIXI, and 1150 AM KKNW, but the syndicator stated that Sandusky was unwilling to change formats on either station. Among the remaining Seattle owners, Christian broadcaster Salem Radio operates four AM radio stations: 1300 AM KOL, 1590 AM KLFE, 820 AM KGNW, and 1680 AM KNTS. Salem has no liberal talk outlets on any of its signals across the United States. Entercom operates 770 AM KTTH, and 710 AM KIRO. Both stations have established formats. Christa Ministries operates 630 AM KCIS and is a conservative ministry. Fisher recently flipped 570 AM KVI back to conservative talk from oldies.

KRKO 1380 AM and KKXA 1520 AM were both approached to pick up programs currently available on 1090 AM and declined.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:07 PM

2. So Seattle and Portland are both losing their progressive radio....

yeah, good luck with that.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:16 PM

3. how many people that you know listened to those stations and shopped the sponsors? that's what it

comes down to

Reply to this post

Response to msongs (Reply #3)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:36 PM

7. Lots of people I know did...

...plus, I saw lots of "AM1090 Progressive Talk" bumperstickers on cars in the Seattle area.

I think this is a special case, because CBS is starting up a nationwide sports-radio network, and is already going to be producing content for that network. They wanted to place a station in Seattle, and this was an outlet of theirs that was available on the AM channel (which is the band of choice for sports stations). As it stood, what were they going to do -- pay for syndicated progressive-talk programs when they already had in-house 24/7 sports radio content paid for up-front? Or go with their own content, and save the money spent on syndication fees? If they thought another sports station might pull in as much ad revenue, or even lower revenue but still enough to be offset by the lower costs, the decision would be a business no-brainer -- but that would be true no matter what format the channel was now.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 06:12 PM

20. I listen in and i shop sponsors

Sherwin Williams paint was advertised there....I still buy it. There is a meat market that used to advertise there...I bought meat from them because of their advertisement. In my car, the ONLY thing on my radio is AM 1090. I have been listening to AM 1090 for almost a decade. I have the AM 1090 bumper sticker on my truck. When listening in to The Thom Hartmann Show, a significant percentage, likely over 10 percent, of the callers are listeners of AM 1090.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 03:33 PM

22. totally listened to AM1090 every day

and am pissed it's going away. For whatever reason they give, they are destroying opposition on the airwaves, that's the bottom line. Norm gave a very sensible reason for the change, but I'm not convinced.

-p

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 11:41 AM

28. And you base that on what information? nm

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:19 PM

4. In the SF Bay they exchanged Stephanie Miller for Glenn freaking Beck!

I feel your pain. I really do.

At least you have notice. One time I remember a high school game was played instead of Air America and it totally freaked me out. Dystopic future, it seemed, right out of 1984. It was a passing thing but still it scared me.

Reply to this post

Response to tblue (Reply #4)

Mon Dec 17, 2012, 05:06 AM

26. Yeah, and when they did that, I started streaming Steph from Seattle in the morning.

I hope I can find another stream to hear her show live.

Reply to this post

Response to Webster Green (Reply #26)

Mon Dec 17, 2012, 06:42 AM

27. Try KTLK from Los Angeles

That's the one I use here in NYC. Google "The Stephanie Miller Show" you'll find it.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:24 PM

5. No! No!

AM 1090 is MY radio station 24/7.
This truly makes me ill.

Reply to this post

Response to PearliePoo2 (Reply #5)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:55 PM

9. In the meantime, while waiting for (hopefully) a new Seattle station to pick up the format...

...if you have a iPhone or Android, pick up the TuneIn radio app and listen to WCPT out of Chicago -- it has pretty much the same daytime lineup as AM1090, from Bill Press to Norman Goldman. (It doesn't carry Randi Rhodes or Mike Malloy, but other stations available on the same app do.) I believe you can also access the service via computer.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:19 PM

6. More of the repukes

controlling the message

Reply to this post

Response to GP6971 (Reply #6)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:53 PM

8. As I said above...

...I don't think this was a case of ideological decisions, but that KPTK had the misfortune to be a CBS station when they decided to start a nationwide sports network. If anything, it's a case of large businesses forcing uniform broadcasting everywhere in the country rather than political censorship.

However, the latter has happened quite a lot in the past four years, particularly at ClearChannel -- even when the progressive stations were drawing better ratings than the previous format (and, as it turned out, than the successor as well), which should be enough to disabuse the notion that "liberals don't listen to progressive talk radio" that you'll even find some people espousing here on DU.

Reply to this post

Response to regnaD kciN (Reply #8)

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 11:43 AM

29. Yes it is probably just a coincidence that progressive radio is being shut down by non-progressive

owners. Conservatives are willing to lose money to keep the progressive message out of the media. They figure they will make out in the end.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 05:59 AM

10. They sent the following letter to participants in the AM 1090 forums

To my friends for liberal (American) causes,

Tomorrow (11/13) it will be announced on the CBS and AM1090 Website that, effective January 2, 2013, the Progressive Talk on AM 1090 will change format and become CBS Sports 1090. This is happening in several cities, and not just with CBS stations. Clear Channel in Portland is also making the change, as are several other cities, with various station ownerships.

The sad fact is, although the Progressive radio listener is avid and dedicated, their listening numbers have decreased over the past year and a half. I can’t explain how this lines up with what is happening today in the general population; it’s just a fact. The result of a decreased listener base is a decline in revenues to the point that the format simply cannot be sustained.

I have worked in radio and sports for many years. The sports fan is not quite as avid as the progressive fan, but he, and more and more, she does respond to advertising. And there are more radio sports fans than progressive talk fans, so the move makes financial sense for radio companies. And we welcome those who wish to continue working with us.

I am sure that Progressive Talk will surface again in our area. I will let you know when I hear anything.

It’s been great working with you and supporting your voices for democracy.

Shirley

SHIRLEY THOM
ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE | CBS RADIO SEATTLE
P: 206.805.1197 | F: 206.805.0907
1000 DEXTER AVE N SUITE 100, SEATTLE, WA 98109
KMPS | KZOK | KJAQ | KPTK

Reply to this post

Response to eridani (Reply #10)

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 09:29 PM

12. Interesting that the statement comes from an account executive...

...rather than someone higher-up at the station and/or network.

Reply to this post

Response to regnaD kciN (Reply #12)

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 12:01 AM

13. She is the person in charge of selling tables for the annual AM 1090 event

Physicians for a National Health Program has participated in past years, so we got direct notice.

Reply to this post

Response to eridani (Reply #10)

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 07:11 PM

19. Yet we already have two sports stations in town.

Three if you count KRKO in Everett. We have only one progressive talk station.

You can see by my Avatar I'm a sports fan but unless CBS sports has shows with local people it's not likely to pick up any listeners.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 11:38 AM

11. They axed progressive radio in Spokane

a few months ago. In its place, we got a classic country robo station.

Now I listen to I heart Radio stations out of Colorado, Wisconsin, and until recently Oregon.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 01:00 AM

14. Apparently, two KPTK hosts may have found a new home...

Last edited Wed Nov 14, 2012, 04:22 PM - Edit history (1)

According to a marginal note on the site below, Stephanie Miller and Ed Schultz are being picked up by Tacoma station KLAY 1180, replacing failed-actors-turned-Rush-wannabes Jerry Doyle and Dennis Miller.

http://www.seatacradio.com/blog/?p=25333

ON EDIT: My original post, based on the article above, reported that this was a done deal. From sources at KLAY, I understand this is not yet true -- they are merely "in negotiations" to acquire the shows. It is also possible KLAY may pick up more of KPTK's programming than just those two shows.

Reply to this post

Response to regnaD kciN (Reply #14)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 12:24 AM

15. "failed actors turned Rush wannabes" LOL

1180's signal from Tacoma is only 5 kW day, 1 kW night. 1090 was 50 kW day/night. I guess you'll need a good car antenna if you're driving thru downtown Seattle and want to listen to Mama and Big Eddie to avoid the static.

Radio-locator.com puts Seattle in "weak signal" (purple) territory of KLAY's signal. In my experience if my city were in the "purple range" of radio-locator.com's signal maps I could pick up that station via car radio or hear it OK on my Walkman.

Reply to this post

Response to regnaD kciN (Reply #14)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 12:29 AM

16. And when I visited Victoria, BC last summer I could sorta hear 1090 not sure about 1180.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 01:57 PM

17. A short history, courtesy of NW Progressive Institute

http://www.nwprogressive.org/weblog/2012/11/seattles-progressive-talk-to-be-shut-down-cbs-radio-converting-am-1090-to-sports.html

Management at CBS claims that although progressive political talk has a dedicated core audience, the overall audience has been declining, both in our region and nationally. We haven’t seen any numbers backing up that assertion, but that is part of the justification for the format change that CBS Seattle staff have been given.

Those unfamiliar with the radio business might be surprised to know that AM 1090 has been through a lot of format shifts before. AM 1090 is Seattle’s third oldest-radio station; it began broadcasting in 1927 as KVL.

<snip>

If they subscribe to Comcast cable, Frontier FiOS, or Dish Network, they can watch all the games that the likes of ESPN and Fox don’t decide to carry on the Pac-12 Networks, a family of television channels created by the Pacific 12 conference.

The Pacific 12 conference, as many readers know, consists of twelve schools, including Washington and Oregon’s four largest public universities. The schools collectively decided a couple of years ago that they could better monetize their athletic events by creating a broadcasting arm under their direct control.

Now that the Pac-12 Networks are live, college sports fans can watch far more games on TV than they could before. Each region of the conference has its own channel, and there’s also a national Pac-12 channel as well.

This is what CBS is up against. They’re making an extremely risky bet. By converting AM 1090, they lose the station’s current loyal audience and all the goodwill they have tried to cultivate over the years through “Precinct 1090″ and annual town hall forums. No other station in Seattle broadcasts progressive talk, which means that AM 1090 – in its present incarnation – has a niche.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 05:30 AM

18. If you feel like complaining--

You can voice a complaint to the program director at carey.curelop@cbsradio.com or better yet call the comment line at 1-877-753-1090. Also call their sponsors and ask them if they knew 1090 was changing formats and if they support it. I've told the station that I will boycott any and all local sponsors when the make the switch. I realize it's a "free" market and they can do whatever they wish. But I too can expressing my opinion by my actions. With some of the suggestions offer by everyone, we can bring progressive talk back.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 06:43 PM

21. ok this bums me out hardcore....I listen daily!

tried to go to that spa-dentist that advertises on 1090 but they didnt take my insurance

damn

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 05:17 PM

23. This is awful

When I was in Seattle I listened constantly to am1090. And I can't believe this posting only has two recs!

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 03:13 AM

24. Latest from Jula Chase (petition initiator)

Hey Save 1090 Team,

I got sad and bad news today! (see below).

We can still work to find another dial position to carry Progressive Talk! AND we can still protest to CBS, in case a 4th Sports channel in Seattle doesn't take hold. AND we can learn how we can still access progressive talk radio! Some options:

SiriusXM has a package (subscription) for connection to a satellite service that can be used in conjunction with an Internet Radio that can provide portable service to Internet Radio Stations. Here is the link - http://www.siriusxm.com/

Also Podcasting, downloading on line from other stations, Pacifica Radio, Current TV, and other options. If any one of you can write up a "how to" sheet with all the options, please send it to me at Juliachase@comcast.net and I will send it on to everyone on this petition of 400 people, plus the MoveON.org petition! We Progressives are not going away, in fact this may make us stronger because we will not be at the mercy of commercial (right-wing) radio station owners!
Thank you everyone for your support! Hang in there!
Julia

+++++++++++++++

Julia,
The new call letters, granted by the FCC have already changed to KFNQ.
It is part of a multi-city CBS National Sports Network, set to launch January 2, 2013.
The new air staff is in place.
There is no turning back.
Your interest would be better served to find another dial position to carry Progressive Talk.
That is the only way the format will be saved in Seattle.

Shirley

SHIRLEY THOM
ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE | CBS RADIO SEATTLE
P: 206.805.1197 | F: 206.805.0907
1000 DEXTER AVE N SUITE 100, SEATTLE, WA 98109
KMPS | KZOK | KJAQ | KPTK

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 17, 2012, 04:48 AM

25. Email from Norman Goldman to Julia Chase.

From Norman Goldman, 12/12/12 "Everything is going to turn out just fine." - quote from President Obama.

Hello Julia: Dial Global does not syndicate our show.....i will, however, be addressing the AM 1090 situation in about one half hour from now and the opening segment is free always at our website. What i would like to do is try to get folks thinking of "radio" differently. Over-the-air terrestrial radio is not what the future holds - and KLAY does not have a powerful signal. It is 5,000 watts based in Tacoma, owned by a guy and I do believe he does not think much of ME!! LOL!! The station does not cover the market and is certainly no AM 1090, in power/coverage.

Be that as it may, i would REALLY like you and the good folks who signed your petition to read what i re-print below...i am sending this to folks and would LOVE and REALLY appreciate if you would forward this to all of them and let's move people away from over-the-air radio....70% of folks don't go to AM at all anymore - XM/Sirius has 24 million subscribers (and i am not on THAT, either!) and truly, i am in the "content delivery" business and over-the-air radio is devolving into a few formats and we don't make the grade, for political reasons, i suspect.

HOWEVER, there ARE folks - and sadly - lots of them who cannot afford even the most minimal technology to end run these radio stations and they ARE relegated to whatever these corporate-owned stations put on and that is not only a shame but an abuse of the public airwaves. The problem is that Congress and the FCC allow for it, so there we are.

Sports is the hot topic these days and stations are flipping to sports like mad! Clear Channel and other companies are making deals based on dollar signs - they are consigning us to "niche markets" (that is what we "liberal talkers" are being called) and not caring about the audience we have. That is simply the cold, harsh reality.

I and the other hosts have been tied and COMPLETELY dependent upon these radio stations FOREVER. The good news is this is no longer true - the bad news is it requires some technology and monetary, plus time, investment to end run the radio stations. If you don't want to be tied to a computer, where Internet streaming is free at www.normangoldman.com and want to hear the show live in your car, there are "kits" that can be installed inexpensively at auto audio places.....for example, go into a search engine (like Google) and type in internet radio car kit and watch what happens! Here is just an example:

http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Internet-Radio-Car-Livio/dp/B005FE7URM

But there are others. New cars have Internet radio built in. Ford’s Sync system and most other manufacturers now have Internet radio pre-built directly into your new car via their new car technology. For older cars, the “kits” can be installed quickly and relatively inexpensively at these “Al & Ed’s Autosound” type of places.

A podcast is also available for delayed listening. A podcast is simply an audio file transferred from one computer to another...and then transferred (by dragging the icon) onto an iPod, mp3 player or other device. The good news is that YOU are now in control...the bad news is that, to exercise that control, you need to spend some time and perhaps money, to do it. Our podcasts are $5 a month at www.normangoldman.com (or $50 for a full year, which is 2 months free) and the shows have all the clutter and commercials stripped out, so a show is a LOT LESS than 3 hours! Plus, our podcast subscription includes all the “Beyond The Norm” segments (one extra segment a day, not done on the air) and that means the entire archive of legal, consumer and other information we have done! All on your schedule to your convenience! AND, we stream the show live and free through Facebook – The Norman Goldman Show on Facebook!

I also have a free smartphone app for you that lets you listen on your phone, live, free and anywhere. Plus, there is the iHeartRadio app and the TuneIn app.

The bottom line is, for the future of our show and the others; we need to connect with you outside the gatekeeper status of the radio stations. They have forced us into this position. Sorry, and I wish I had more control of the situation!!

Norm

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 31, 2012, 10:09 PM

30. Thom Hartmann being picked up by KBCS in Bellevue

Thanks so much for getting the word out about the Thom Hartmann Program's move to KBCS! We're getting a lot of messages of support. (Unfortunately, we’re also getting an equal number of complaints from listeners to The Outskirts – the show Hartmann is displacing – who are unhappy about losing their favorite show.)

As you probably have heard, KBCS will begin airing the Thom Hartmann Program this Wednesday, January 2nd!

KBCS is a listener-supported public radio station.

Regarding your question about other public stations carrying progressive talk shows: it’s really up to the producers of the program whether to create a separate non-commercial version of their program. Has a lot to do with their funding model and who they think their audience is. And it does take a considerable commitment on their part. It’s a testament to Thom and Louise that they are willing to do the extra work to support non-commercial stations.

Additionally, we’re not in a financial position to make wholesale changes to our program schedule to accommodate all of the programs formerly on KPTK. We’d go out of business if we made changes that caused all of our existing audience to drop their membership. (We’re not like a deep-pocket, profit-driven commercial station with investors who will support program changes like KPTK is making.)

And we also have to consider our mission, which is to “open minds and hearts to the diversity of music and ideas.” That means we have many different types of programs to provide, serving a very diverse audience. Dropping all of our existing programming and taking on KPTK’s whole line-up would really go against our commitment to diversity.

However, we’ll continue to look for new program opportunities and, if another progressive program becomes available to us, we’ll seriously consider whether it’s an option.

Thanks again for all your help. Happy New Year. Peace and prosperity to all!

Best,
Bruce Wirth
91.3 KBCS, Program Director
3000 Landerholm Circle SE, Bellevue WA 98007
direct 425-564-6162 / fax 425-564-5697

It is also available on AM 930 out of Bellingham.

Hi All, Happy New Year to you and yours! More to come soon, with plans for saving our progressive talk radio! Meanwhile, please sign this Sign-on petition too. Between the two petitions, we are close to 10,000 signatures! Here is the link for the petition Carolyn created usingMove on/ SignOn: http://signon.org/sign/dont-let-seattle-lose-1?utm_source=supporter_message&utm_medium=email

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A hopeful message from Phil ---:
Julia,
I'm in Seattle and I'm a regular 1090 listener. I am willing to contribute to the cause of a community-owned commercial radio station. Society needs alternatives to the plutocratic control of the media (and other institutions like banking). I would like to see a radio station that is owned by a base of people tied to a local listener community. It would not be non-partisan, like NPR. It would be free to advocate for a political perspective and not be beholden ultimately to Wall Street (which is the current situation). I think there might be a way to do this, but this needs guidance from people who know the business and have some alternative vision that would include a democratic listener component. What better way is there to promote progressive change than progressive ownership of Progressive Talk radio?

There is a history of this sort of thing in Seattle from 30 years ago. (KRAB radio and The Northwest Passage newspaper come to mind/) I believe that these early attempts ultimately failed because they were not tied in to national media structures and talent.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
FROM: Bruce Wirth, Program Manager of KBCS Radio, Bellevue College. KBCS is a listener-supported public radio station 91.3 FM KBCS, will begin hosting Thom Hartman starting Wednesday, Jan. 3

ALSO: Go to Norman Goldman’s webpage for more ways to find our beloved air personalities. I’ll send more info soon! http://normangoldman.com/?utm_source=supporter_message&utm_medium=email

The end of the year finds me under the weather…probably stress and sadness over looking our beloved AM 1090.

Thanks,
Julia and the Save Progressive Talk Radio in Seattle Team
juliachase@comcast.net

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread