HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Virginia (Group) » Virginia Senate vote pass...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 09:11 AM

Virginia Senate vote passes $880 million highway reform. (goes to McDonnell's desk)

RICHMOND, Va. The state Senate has passed the first long-term reform to Virginia's floundering 27-year-old system for funding repairs and upkeep of its 58,000-mile network of highways.

The 25-15 vote sends to Gov. Bob McDonnell what would be the defining policy legacy in the fourth and final year of the single, non-renewable term Virginia allows its governors.

It would replace Virginia's 17.5 cents-per-gallon retail gasoline tax with a 3.5 percent wholesale tax on gasoline and a 6 percent levy on diesel fuel. It boosts statewide sales taxes from 5 percent to 5.3 percent. It increases the titling tax on car sales and adds a $100 registration fee for fuel-sipping hybrid vehicles. It also rules out proposed tolls on Interstate 95 south of Petersburg.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/02/va-senate-vote-passes-880-million-highway-reform-87979.html

So, we change and shift the gas tax from the end user to the distributors which likely won't change the prices at the pump at all, but increase the profits to wholesalers as they "pass on the cost." We raise the state sales tax .3% and we PUNISH people that want to be ecologically aware and purchase hybrid vehicles.

Move to VA and title your hybrid! We'll charge a fee because you use less gas.

Some days I really hate this state.

2 replies, 880 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Virginia Senate vote passes $880 million highway reform. (goes to McDonnell's desk) (Original post)
obxhead Feb 2013 OP
elleng Feb 2013 #1
davidwparker Feb 2013 #2

Response to obxhead (Original post)

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 01:35 PM

1. But its for lovers, obx!!!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to elleng (Reply #1)

Mon Feb 25, 2013, 03:13 AM

2. Just north of you -- Hampton Roads.

I know OBX well.