HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Texas (Group) » Judges accelerate Texas r...

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 05:18 PM

Judges accelerate Texas redistricting trial

WASHINGTON A three-judge panel is moving up closing arguments in the federal court hearing in Washington on Texas political redistricting.

The panel has been hearing testimony on whether the Texas Legislature violated the federal Voting Rights Act when it redrew political district maps.

U.S. District Judge Rosemary Collyer says a U.S. Supreme Court decision last week to return interim district maps to a San Antonio federal court means many of those involved in the Washington trial will be needed in San Antonio.

Closing arguments, which had been scheduled for Feb. 3, will now be held Jan. 31.

http://www.statesman.com/news/texas/judges-accelerate-texas-redistricting-trial-2121563.html

1 replies, 426 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Judges accelerate Texas redistricting trial (Original post)
TexasTowelie Jan 2012 OP
sonias Jan 2012 #1

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 09:16 PM

1. Interesting deveopment

I still don't think we get a ruling in time for an April primary. And even then, most likely one of the two major parties will appeal and this will go even further.

Since Texas will be one of the last states to hold a primary for Presidential election, if the repuke side has not yet made a decision between Newt and Mittens, Texas may just come into play in that race. I'm sure the repukes of Texas are salivating over that possibility.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread