HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Texas (Group) » Notorious dentist who ran...

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 02:24 AM

Notorious dentist who ran over husband wants parole (updated 4/12/2013)

Last edited Fri Apr 12, 2013, 11:58 PM - Edit history (1)

Clara Harris, the Friendswood dentist who made national headlines 10 years ago by running over her husband in a Mercedes-Benz, could be back on the street in weeks after asking prison officials on Thursday to consider paroling her.

"I think she has a really good chance of getting out," said Emily Detoto, Harris' former attorney and now friend. "She's been a model prisoner. She's never gotten into trouble, and she's worked."

In February, Harris will have served half of her 20-year sentence for the July 24, 2002, manslaughter of 44-year-old David Harris and will for the first time be eligible for parole.

Detoto said the parole board will look at letters from supporters and detractors, how the 54-year-old spent her time in prison and whether she is a danger to the community among other factors before making its decision.

More at http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Notorious-dentist-who-ran-over-husband-wants-4136584.php

Update 4/12/2013:

Board denies parole for Clara Harris

FREINDSWOOD Clara Harris, the scorned Friendswood dentist who ran down and murdered her unfaithful husband with a Mercedes-Benz, has been denied parole.

On Feb. 14, 2003 the 11th anniversary of her marriage to David Harris Clara Harris was convicted of murder and sentenced to 20 years in a state penitentiary. She was eligible for parole after serving 10 years.

Subscription required: http://www.galvestondailynews.com/news/local_news/article_5305d6e4-a3aa-11e2-9827-0019bb30f31a.html

5 replies, 1391 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Notorious dentist who ran over husband wants parole (updated 4/12/2013) (Original post)
TexasTowelie Dec 2012 OP
Vogon_Glory Dec 2012 #1
mbperrin Dec 2012 #2
TexasTowelie Apr 2013 #4
mbperrin Apr 2013 #5
TexasTowelie Apr 2013 #3

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 10:13 AM

1. Isn't She A Foreign National? If So, She's Likely To Get Deported

I remembered the incident. I thought I remembered reading that she was Colombian. If she hadn't gotten citizenship, she may well find herself deported back to Colombia. That seems to be a frequent fate of convicted felons who aren't US citizens.

I'm not making a statement about immigration. I'm just commenting about the world as it is.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Dec 22, 2012, 05:07 PM

2. Ah, let her go. Her husband was a cheating no good sob.

She never ran over anybody else.

Reply to this post

Response to mbperrin (Reply #2)

Sat Apr 13, 2013, 12:00 AM

4. Not insinuating anything,

but spousal issues at home?

Reply to this post

Response to TexasTowelie (Reply #4)

Sat Apr 13, 2013, 12:58 AM

5. My lawyer ( a prominent local ambulance-chaser) once told me that all

Texans are entitled to one free murder in their life. Temporary insanity, if planned carefully, will let you go just one time.

Seems to me that Ms. Harris has been denied her God-given right as a Texan!

On a lighter note, after 25 years, I haven't been run over YET!

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 12, 2013, 11:58 PM

3. Update posted 4/12/2013

See OP.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread