HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Texas (Group) » State cancer fund directo...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 01:46 PM

State cancer fund director resigns

Bill Gimson, the embattled executive director of the state's cancer agency, announced his resignation Tuesday.

Gimson, the central figure in two questionable grants awarded by agency, was sharply criticized by members of Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas' governing board last week. The board had planned a performance review for Gimson at its January meeting.

"I serve at the pleasure of the CPRIT Oversight Committee.," Gimson said in a statement. "I have submitted my letter of resignation, which has not yet been accepted by the Board."

Gimson offered to remain until the January meeting.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/State-cancer-fund-director-resigns-4108477.php

In late November, it was revealed that CPRIT approved $11 million over three years for Dallas-based Peloton Therapeutics without its proposal going through the legally required review.

See earlier story on this topic at http://www.democraticunderground.com/10784956 .

3 replies, 711 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply State cancer fund director resigns (Original post)
TexasTowelie Dec 2012 OP
DollarBillHines Dec 2012 #1
DreamGypsy Dec 2012 #2
TexasTowelie Dec 2012 #3

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 02:00 PM

1. This is a very complex issue.

But I have read where a guy named Perry changed the way the grants are approved.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 02:30 PM

2. Peloton Therapeutics apparently received a Company Formation Award from CPRIT

and at least in 2013, such an award would have been reviewed.

From CPRIT Funding Opportunities:

Company Formation Awards
Instructions for Applicants

The goal of the Company Formation Awards is to finance the development of innovative products, services, and infrastructure with significant potential impact on patient care.

snip

9. APPLICATION REVIEW

9.1. Overview
Applications will be assessed based on evaluation of the quality of the Company and the potential for continued product development. CPRIT requires the submission of a detailed business plan (see Section 10.3.5) and a comprehensive scientific plan (see Section 10.3.6). The plans will be reviewed by an integrated panel of individuals with biotechnology expertise and experience in translational and clinical research as well as in the business development/regulatory approval processes for therapeutics, devices, and diagnostics. The review will address the commercial viability, product feasibility, scientific merit, and therapeutic impact, as detailed in the Company’s business and scientific plans.

If this review didn't happen or the results of the review were not considered, then some management FU occurred.

Peloton got another $18M in venture funding so at least the company received some other scrutiny.

This situation doesn't seem like a conspiracy to me. Time will tell with the taxpayers of Texas get a return in jobs, infrastructure, and innovative cancer technology from Peloton. $11M out of a total spending of $700M is not an extraordinary risk.

Reply to this post

Response to DreamGypsy (Reply #2)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 08:10 PM

3. It looks like the agency has caught the attention of the Travis County DA.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread