HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Texas (Group) » UT proposes new universit...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 01:17 PM

UT proposes new university in South Texas

University of Texas System officials announced a plan today to merge two South Texas universities into a new institution that would be eligible for funding from the state’s main higher education endowment. The new university, yet to be named, would include a planned medical school in the region.

The proposal, which needs legislative approval, would combine UT-Pan American in Edinburg and UT-Brownsville in the city of that name. Although both campuses would continue to be used for classes and research, the new university would be overseen by a single president. It would immediately become one of the largest Hispanic-serving institutions in the nation.

A key element of the plan is to designate the new school as eligible for funding from the Permanent University Fund, a multibillion-dollar endowment benefiting certain institutions in the UT System and the Texas A&M University System. UT-Pan Am and UT-Brownsville are currently not eligible for such funding.

The new university would encompass an existing regional academic health center in Harlingen, which officials want to expand into a medical school. Chancellor Francisco Cigarroa proposed that the system allocate $100 million over the next 10 years to advance that effort.

More at http://www.statesman.com/news/news/state-regional-govt-politics/ut-proposes-new-university-in-south-texas/nTPJm/ .

1 replies, 554 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply UT proposes new university in South Texas (Original post)
TexasTowelie Dec 2012 OP
ROBROX Dec 2012 #1

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 06:23 PM

1. HIGHER EDUCATION IN TEXAS!!!

I think all governments which support higher education are doing their social part in our society. There are always distant areas which require a college campus. It is good to know that the new UT campus will be in areas which will be available to minority members.

I hope this century a higher education is considered EVERYONES basic right to make our world a better place to live. I understand that without a good education it is easier for those in power to keep both wages and life styles DOWN.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread