HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Texas (Group) » Texas Democrats rebound w...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 02:26 PM

Texas Democrats rebound with small but steady gains in 2012 election

http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2012/nov/26/texas-democrats-rebounded-small-gains/

Democrats still do not have any statewide officeholders — and their numbers in those races were dismal. But they held their ground in the state Senate, gained seven seats in the Texas House, split the four new seats in Congress and wrested another one away from the red team. The rebound from the disastrous 2010 election was not dramatic, but a gain is a gain.

Democrats have enough players to stay in the game in the Texas Senate, unless the chamber’s Republican majority changes a rule that generally requires approval from two-thirds of the senators to take up any piece of legislation. Anyone with 11 votes can block a bill, most of the time. It is not always a partisan thing, but when it is, the Democrats come into the session with 12 votes.

Republicans and many political observers dismiss Texas Democrats as a disorganized and unfocused group of partisans who have not proved themselves as a legislative force. But infighting within the Republican ranks could produce opportunities for coalitions — Democrats and moderates, for instance — and gradually, for more seats in the Legislature.

2 replies, 727 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Texas Democrats rebound with small but steady gains in 2012 election (Original post)
ashling Nov 2012 OP
msongs Nov 2012 #1
NoPasaran Nov 2012 #2

Response to ashling (Original post)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 02:30 PM

1. good news taken where it can be had nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to ashling (Original post)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 05:02 PM

2. I hate to be a Debbie Downer

But I think we need a second data point to classify these small gains as "steady".

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread