HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Texas (Group) » Steen named Texas secreta...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 01:18 PM

Steen named Texas secretary of state

San Antonio attorney John T. Steen Jr. was named Texas’ secretary of state Tuesday by Gov. Rick Perry, the latest shuffle in top offices before the Legislature convenes in January.

<<snip>>

“John’s strong business background and dedication to public service throughout the years make him uniquely qualified to serve in this important role,” Perry said in a statement. “His leadership over our state’s elections process, economic development efforts and international relations will be an integral part of Texas’ goal to expand economic prosperity and opportunity for all Texans.”

Steen, who has previously served as chairman of the governing boards of the Texas Department of Public Safety and Alcoholic Beverage Commission, said he looks forward to his new role.

<<snip>>

“As chief elections officer, I will make it my highest priority to preserve the integrity of our elections and ensure they are fair, accessible and secure.”

More at http://www.statesman.com/news/news/state-regional-govt-politics/steen-named-texas-secretary-of-state/nTGgL/

2 replies, 796 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Steen named Texas secretary of state (Original post)
TexasTowelie Nov 2012 OP
sonias Nov 2012 #1
TexasTowelie Nov 2012 #2

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 04:09 PM

1. "preserve the integrity of our elections"

This isn't even code anymore for voter suppression. It's still the top agenda item for all republican controlled states - suppress voter turnout by any means necessary.

Florida republicans have even just come out and said it out loud:

Huffington Post 11/27/12
Jim Greer, Ex-Florida GOP Chair, Claims Republican Voting Laws Focused On Suppression, Racism

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to sonias (Reply #1)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 05:00 PM

2. Yes, I definitely wanted to get that quote in there

while I was editing the article to four paragraphs.

I when I read the hypocrisy.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread