HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Texas (Group) » Republicans are losing th...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 06:58 PM

Republicans are losing their stronghold states as Hispanics shun the party

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/11/republicans_are_losing_their_s.html

In the Senate, Hispanics gained a seat with a victory by Texas Republican Ted Cruz.

Obama sealed his victory partly by amassing big victories in heavily Hispanic pockets of swing states including Florida. Hispanic population growth helps explain why California and New Jersey are Democratic strongholds and no longer competitive in White House elections, and why Texas may someday shift from its one-party Republicanism.

“Within the next six to eight years, I believe Texas will be at least be a purple state if not a blue state,“ San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro said on CNN Thursday, referring to the colors that political commentators assign to independent-leaning and Democratic-leaning states.

Rep. Charles Gonzalez, D-Texas, said that the Republican Party has “justifiably earned a very, very low reputation among Latinos“ because of its use of immigration issues to “really vilify the Latino immigrant.“

2 replies, 961 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Republicans are losing their stronghold states as Hispanics shun the party (Original post)
ashling Nov 2012 OP
xfundy Nov 2012 #1
WolverineDG Nov 2012 #2

Response to ashling (Original post)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 10:00 PM

1. What possible reason could hispanics have for not voting repig?

Except for ALL of them?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to ashling (Original post)

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 07:57 AM

2. I speak Spanish better than Ted Cruz

(because I grew up & live on the border, but I digress)

holy hell, did anyone catch that Spanish commercial with his dad? W has less of a gringo accent than Cruz!! It was painful to listen to!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread