HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Texas (Group) » San Antonio: Billy Bobs B...

Tue Oct 23, 2012, 11:40 AM

San Antonio: Billy Bobs Beds kicks out a disabled Vet, tells him to go Occupy Wall Street

Last edited Wed Oct 24, 2012, 11:33 AM - Edit history (2)

I have to wonder why Gholson is so afraid of having a service dog in his store. Is he hiding something a dog might smell? Drugs? Munitions?

A San Antonio businessman kicked a disabled war veteran and his service dog out of a mattress store, and employees told the vet to "Go occupy Wall Street," the man claims in court.

Adan Gallegos sued Billy Bob's Beds in San Antonio Federal Court.

Gallegos claims the store president, William Gholson, kicked him and his service dog Bootz out of the San Antonio store though Bootz was clearly identified as a service animal.

Gholson is not named as an individual defendant.

"Gholson persisted in spite of Bootz wearing an identifying service-dog vest and Mr. Gallegos verbally informing Gohlson that Bootz is a service animal," the complaint states.

"Store employees continued the harassment and ridicule after Mr. Gallegos left the building."

Gallegos claims that Gholson called the police on him, and that after he left the store, employees followed him and told him to remove his Wounded Warrior clothing and "go occupy Wall Street."

Gallegos served with the Army's 4th Battalion, 42nd Field Artillery Regiment, "which was involved in the search for, and capture of, Saddam Hussein," according to the complaint.

He says he has been rated 70 percent disabled and has depression and severs post-traumatic stress disorder due to "intense combat" and "the explosion of an IED."

His dog Bootz helps him deal with his disabilities.

"The tasks performed by Bootz are directly related to Mr. Gallegos' disability and include monitoring Mr. Gallegos' behavior and alerting if Mr. Gallegos appears to be highly stressed or shows signs of a panic attack," the complaint states.

Bootz also wakes him up when he has a nightmare, reminds him to take his medication and warns him someone is coming up from behind him.

Gallegos claims he entered the store with a family member to pick up a previously purchased mattress. Bootz remained leashed and did not jump on any of the furniture.

"Gholson stated he did not care if the dog was a service animal," the complaint states. "Gholson indicated that Mr. Gallegos was in Gholson's place of business and no one could make him do anything in his own building."

http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/10/22/51497.htm

=====UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE======

This was posted on BBB's facebook page on Oct 22, 2012

Mr. Gholson and his employees honor the military service of Mr. Gallegos and all veterans and active duty personnel. Billy Bob (BB) regrets the way things occurred and the misunderstanding between Mr. Gallegos and BB.

It was a full year ago – October 2011 – that Mr. Gallegos came to BB’s with Bootz. That is when the events occurred. In the full year since then and up until today (October 23, 2012), BB heard nothing from any lawyers for Mr. Gallegos or from the government or from any other representative of Mr. Gallegos. This is unfortunate because there is no reason for these lawyers to have filed this federal court lawsuit, which they did on October 18, 2012, last Thursday.

BB – soon after this situation – changed his “No Pet” policy. BB sells mattresses; and pets in the store are a concern. BB has always allowed service dogs to come into the store when the dogs accompanied a customer with an obvious disability like blindness. Back at the time in October 2011, BB was not aware of the idea of service dogs for folks – like Mr. Gallegos – who did not have an apparent disability. There seem to be government rules and regulations that BB did not understand
at the time. BB’s current policy addresses this and all service dogs are allowed.

BB is a small business owner with his wife. They have 8 employees. In his lawsuit, Mr. Gallegos says that he wants to return to BB’s. Mr. Gallegos is welcomed with Bootz to come to BB’s. In order to resolve this, BB is happy to provide a new, free mattress to Mr. Gallegos. And – and this is serious – BB is also happy to provide a new free mattress to Bootz. Often, BB will cut down a mattress to size for a customer’s pet.

And BB continues to offer a military discount to all of our service men and women.

William A. Sherwood

https://www.facebook.com/billy.beds

=====UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE======

Just after I posted that excerpt from BBB's page it disappeared. I can't tell if facebook is messing with me or they *just* took it down.

14 replies, 2568 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 14 replies Author Time Post
Reply San Antonio: Billy Bobs Beds kicks out a disabled Vet, tells him to go Occupy Wall Street (Original post)
IDoMath Oct 2012 OP
sinkingfeeling Oct 2012 #1
CurtEastPoint Oct 2012 #2
white cloud Oct 2012 #9
efhmc Oct 2012 #3
hollysmom Oct 2012 #4
truebluegreen Oct 2012 #5
TexasTowelie Oct 2012 #6
ROBROX Oct 2012 #7
Ilsa Oct 2012 #8
white cloud Oct 2012 #10
white cloud Oct 2012 #11
Ilsa Oct 2012 #14
IDoMath Oct 2012 #13
Javaman Oct 2012 #12

Response to IDoMath (Original post)

Tue Oct 23, 2012, 11:46 AM

1. May Billy Bob's Beds go belly up.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Oct 23, 2012, 11:47 AM

2. Yep, he's a winner. Read the review about this bidness BEFORE he showed his assholishness.

Reply to this post

Response to CurtEastPoint (Reply #2)

Tue Oct 23, 2012, 07:14 PM

9. Wow look at the reviews

thanks.. A real aho;es for sure. Remember the Robmoney 47%. The veterans are expendabale fodder to the RNC

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 23, 2012, 11:49 AM

3. Disgusting!

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 23, 2012, 11:55 AM

4. I just don't understand why the flag wearing rah rah America people

who claim to support the military are always so disrespectful of injured veterans? Were they all supposed to die and not be a "burden on society"?

edited to fix typo

Reply to this post

Response to hollysmom (Reply #4)

Tue Oct 23, 2012, 12:36 PM

5. Someone had a post a few days ago about Romney

being a businessman and caring only for the bottom line. By that standard, his attitude toward the less fortunate makes perfect sense. Seniors and disabled vets are moochers and a drain on society. No longer useful? Die quickly.

Seems endemic among some parts of the population doesn't it?

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 23, 2012, 02:30 PM

6. Reading the final sentence of the clip

reminds me of the Rand Paul interview on the Rachel Maddow show a couple of years ago where he disagreed with the Civil Rights Act. This same nonsense about "I built my business and I'll do what I please" was used to justify segregation.

on Gholson and his ilk.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 23, 2012, 03:19 PM

7. ALL VETS SHOULD BE RESPECTED

I learned after I enlisted that I was now defined as being TWICE A CITIZEN for volunteering to serve.
I hope justice is served and Mr. Gallegos is rewarded for the disservice of some NUT CASE. Something like this should be posted nation wide to let everyone know we are not in the dark ages where people are not treated as EQUALS but as animals.

CHEERS

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 23, 2012, 06:37 PM

8. I doubt a service dog like this would also be trained

to sniff drugs or munitions.
I think the owner, Gholson, was just being a fucking asshole.

Reply to this post

Response to Ilsa (Reply #8)

Tue Oct 23, 2012, 07:25 PM

10. need to email billy bob and see if he really replies to his email

My goal is to save you a fortune on a mattress that will make you late to work. I also want you to know that I will respond to every email that I receive.

mailto:billybob@billybobsbeds.com

hit his FB page also
http://www.facebook.com/people/Billy-Bobs-Beds/1252574332

Reply to this post

Response to white cloud (Reply #10)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 01:53 PM

14. Link is unavailable. He must be getting alot of crap from real people online and in person. nt

Reply to this post

Response to Ilsa (Reply #8)

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 11:17 AM

13. You know that and I know that but he probably doesn't.

I'm just always curious what motivates people to be assholes.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 24, 2012, 09:54 AM

12. Here is their email from their website...

billybob@billybobsbeds.com

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread