HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Texas (Group) » Activists wait for meetin...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Sep 30, 2012, 09:13 PM

Activists wait for meeting with Perry. And wait. And wait.

SHAME SHAME RICK PERRY

AUSTIN — The last time Gov. Rick Perry met with members of the disability rights group, ADAPT, one brought her grandbaby along. That baby has grown into 4th-grader while activists wait for a second meeting, said activist Bob Kafka.

“We sort of have a measure — as the grandbaby gets older and older, we can see how long it's been since Gov. Perry met with us,” said Kafka, a longtime organizer with ADAPT, which advocates for Medicaid-funded programs that allow people who are elderly or have disabilities to live in the community rather than in institutions.

Advocating for Medicaid programs can be a tough slog in Texas, where waiting lists are long for community services and Perry is standing firm against expanding the basic program to cover more Texans.

At a protest just over a week ago organized by the Service Employees International Union and Texas Organizing Project, in which ADAPT took part, demonstrators were met with a closed door and state troopers outside Perry's office.
http://www.chron.com/news/news_columnists/article/Activists-wait-for-meeting-with-Perry-And-wait-3907091.php

2 replies, 670 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Activists wait for meeting with Perry. And wait. And wait. (Original post)
white cloud Sep 2012 OP
mbperrin Oct 2012 #1
Javaman Oct 2012 #2

Response to white cloud (Original post)

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 12:13 AM

1. Even though I always assumed you had to actually be human to hold office,

Perry proves how little I know.

Again.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to white cloud (Original post)

Mon Oct 1, 2012, 09:51 AM

2. The Organizations rep's name was Kafka.

If there isn't any better example of irony in dealing with cement head perry, I can't find it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread