HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Texas (Group) » Stadium upgrades: If coll...

Sun Sep 23, 2012, 05:36 PM

Stadium upgrades: If colleges build it, will the fans come?

Major college athletic directors like to talk about how their departments are the "front porch" of the universities they represent.

These days, those figurative front porches are glistening new or refurbished football stadiums with collective costs well above $1 billion across the state, from Texas to Texas A&M, Baylor to TCU, UTEP to Rice.

Never mind that the nation's economy is still considered to be down shovel-ready athletic projects and construction upgrades are popping up everywhere, especially in Texas and around the Big 12 Conference.

TCU celebrated the debut of a remade Amon Carter Stadium earlier this month. The original stadium was finished in 1930, named for a media mogul who generously gave to TCU and Texas Tech.

More at http://www.statesman.com/sports/collegefootball/stadium-upgrades-if-colleges-build-it-will-the-2465282.html

2 replies, 752 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Stadium upgrades: If colleges build it, will the fans come? (Original post)
TexasTowelie Sep 2012 OP
HopelesslyLiberal Sep 2012 #1
efhmc Oct 2012 #2

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Thu Sep 27, 2012, 09:59 AM

1. The worst thing the Univ of MN ever did was move to the metrodome.

If I had kids going to college, I would encourage them to AVOID any colleges with strong athletic programs. They'll be paying tens of thosuands of dollars for an education. Do they really want that money wasted on sports facilities and subsidizing professional extortion rings, er, I mean sports franchises?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to HopelesslyLiberal (Reply #1)

Mon Oct 15, 2012, 10:08 PM

2. What a great answer. Welcome here.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread