HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Texas (Group) » Get ready for rate hikes ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Jun 18, 2012, 12:23 PM

Get ready for rate hikes (if they can stay on line?)

The PUC is considering raising the cap for peak power generation to $4,500 per megawatt hour. While wholesale electricity costs far less than that under normal conditions, the idea is that raising the cap would provide an incentive for generating companies to invest in new plants.

In Texas’ deregulated power system, retailers buy power from generators, then sell it to residences and businesses. So a rise in the peak wholesale price eventually would increase the average wholesale price, and end users would see higher bills.

While older plants can still be profitable when the wholesale price nears the cap, having a mothballed plant ready for use when needed requires continuing maintenance while it is out of service. For example, at the Bertron plant, operators will empty all the water from Unit 3′s steam boilers at the end of the summer and replace it with anti-corrosion chemicals to impede rust.
http://fuelfix.com/blog/2012/06/18/as-summer-nears-old-plants-go-back-on-grid/

2 replies, 702 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Get ready for rate hikes (if they can stay on line?) (Original post)
white cloud Jun 2012 OP
mbperrin Jun 2012 #1
TexasTowelie Jun 2012 #2

Response to white cloud (Original post)

Mon Jun 18, 2012, 12:28 PM

1. When the new transmission lines are complete in February 2013 and thousands of idled wind generators

come online, there will be no problem.

I just signed a 20% cheaper contract for our electric, down to 5.7 cents per kwh and good for 21 months.

The PUC and their bosses (the companies) are trying to scare prices up, but the secular trend is down.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to white cloud (Original post)

Mon Jun 18, 2012, 12:32 PM

2. Isn't that special?

It's nice to know that the PUC is looking out for me.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread