HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Pennsylvania (Group) » Woman who received free t...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Feb 14, 2013, 08:06 AM

Woman who received free tuition sues University for $1.3 million for a C+ in one class

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/13/megan-thode-lehigh-university-lawsuit_n_2671739.html

A woman who received a C+ in a graduate class is in court right now seeking $1.3 million in damages from Lehigh University. It is amazing that the judge let this matter go to trial - he keeps saying it shouldn't be a matter for the courts, but he keeps letting the trial proceed.

It is particularly strange because the woman received free tuition from Lehigh because her father is a current professor. That father is mainly known as being one of the chief critics of the way that Allentown is funding its downtown redevelopment. The woman also had her undergrad degree funded by Lehigh.

The attorney on the case is a perennial candidate, who has run about 10 times for the US House and the State Senate, and lost by large margins every time. His campaigns were very well-funded - almost entirely by himself. Most of his campaign spending went to pay for billboards picturing himself and his 8 kids.

Before the trial started, the judge sought an out of court settlement in which the University would just let the woman retake the class. One of the parties refused. I'm guessing it was the one seeking the $1.3 million.

6 replies, 1000 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Woman who received free tuition sues University for $1.3 million for a C+ in one class (Original post)
JPZenger Feb 2013 OP
Xipe Totec Feb 2013 #1
Scuba Feb 2013 #2
Curmudgeoness Feb 2013 #3
JPZenger Feb 2013 #4
Curmudgeoness Feb 2013 #5
JPZenger Feb 2013 #6

Response to JPZenger (Original post)

Thu Feb 14, 2013, 08:24 AM

1. What was the subject, morals & ethics? nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Xipe Totec (Reply #1)

Thu Feb 14, 2013, 08:27 AM

2. +1

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 14, 2013, 07:08 PM

3. There are times that I want to be on a jury.

This is one of those times. I give her an F for thinking that she has some entitlement. And thinking that a passing grade is so unacceptable that she deserves $1.3 million.

Reply to this post

Response to Curmudgeoness (Reply #3)

Thu Feb 14, 2013, 07:13 PM

4. I agree, but in this particular case, no jury is involved, judge makes this decision

Reply to this post

Response to JPZenger (Reply #4)

Thu Feb 14, 2013, 07:22 PM

5. Judges are elected. I would watch this one. nt

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 09:43 AM

6. Judge ruled in favor of the University

This case never should have gone to trial.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread