HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Pennsylvania (Group) » First democrat to announc...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 10:37 PM

First democrat to announce candidacy for governor: John Hanger.

Former state DEP Secretary Hanger to run for governor

November 26, 2012 4:21 pm
By Laura Olson / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

HARRISBURG -- Former state Department of Environmental Protection secretary John Hanger said today that he will announce a bid for governor later this week.
Mr. Hanger's announcement -- with events planned in Philadelphia and Harrisburg on Wednesday and in Pittsburgh on Thursday -- will make him the first of an handful of Democrats who will challenge Republican Gov. Tom Corbett.

>snip<

"I'm looking forward to the race and to discussing the critical issues," he said. "We're certainly getting going early."

Mr. Hanger, a Harrisburg attorney, served as DEP secretary under Democratic Gov. Ed Rendell and was a commissioner on the state Public Utility Commission for five years. He also was president of Citizens for Pennsylvania's Future, an environmental advocacy group.

In addition to Mr. Hanger, a number of other Democrats have been mentioned as potential candidates for the 2014 governor's race. Those include York businessman Tom Wolf, former U.S. Rep. Joe Sestak of Delaware County, Philadelphia businessman Tom Knox, and state Treasurer Rob McCord.

Link: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/news/politics-state/former-state-dep-secretary-hanger-to-run-for-governor-663733/

3 replies, 990 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply First democrat to announce candidacy for governor: John Hanger. (Original post)
femmocrat Nov 2012 OP
Curmudgeoness Nov 2012 #1
femmocrat Nov 2012 #2
Curmudgeoness Nov 2012 #3

Response to femmocrat (Original post)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 06:59 PM

1. Meh.

I really liked this guy....until fracking came to PA. His "performance" in Gasland was humiliating. His defense of the industry and the DEP actions and inactions before there was any real scientific evidence one way or the other turned me off. Big time.

I will not support him. But if somehow he is the candidate against Corbett, you know I will vote for him. But I am unimpressed these days with him.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Curmudgeoness (Reply #1)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 10:01 PM

2. Darn! A pro-fracker..... not good.

Thanks for telling me. I don't think he has much of a chance anyhow.

Reply to this post

Response to femmocrat (Reply #2)

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 08:10 PM

3. He is painting himself as a pro-people guy now.

He will probably convince a lot of people who have not been watching him for a long time. "Hanger Challenges PA DEP to Disclose Drinking Water Contaminants" is the title of this article.

Now one of the fracking industry’s cheerleaders, former PA DEP Secretary John Hanger, is challenging the regulatory agency to stop withholding vital information about water contamination from homeowners.

http://protectingourwaters.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/breaking-hanger-challenges-pa-dep-to-disclose-drinking-water-contaminants/

Hanger was in bed with the drillers when he was heading the DEP, and now he is having a come-to-Jesus moment.

Need further evidence? I love this one. It is rich!

http://knappap.blogspot.com/2012/04/great-blog-posting-from-former-dep.html

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread