HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Pennsylvania (Group) » PA. Commission Proposes N...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 08:09 PM

PA. Commission Proposes New Pot of State Funding to Reward Colleges that Meet Performance Targets

http://www.philly.com/philly/education/20121115_Pennsylvania_plan_would_tie_new_college_funding_to_performance_targets.html

This concept makes sense, and has been used successfully in the state of Maryland. It would create a new pot of state money that would be used to reward public colleges that meet performance targets, such as increasing overall 4 year graduation rates, increasing minority graduation rates, and maintaining low tuition increases.

Pres. Obama has also proposed a similar system of funding incentives, which would replace the Perkins program after it expires. However, the US House has shown no interest in following up on that recommendation.

2 replies, 584 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply PA. Commission Proposes New Pot of State Funding to Reward Colleges that Meet Performance Targets (Original post)
JPZenger Nov 2012 OP
jody Nov 2012 #1
InsultComicDog Nov 2012 #2

Response to JPZenger (Original post)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 08:16 PM

1. One Performance Target should be to reduce funding for degrees that don't have a reasonable chance

of leading to a job in that field.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to JPZenger (Original post)

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 12:53 AM

2. the one thing that bothers me a little is the notion I have that

Colleges, like grade schools and high schools, will start "teaching to the test" more. I guess standardization is a two-edged sword...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread