HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Ohio (Group) » Fire Hits Historic Clevel...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 05:07 AM

Fire Hits Historic Cleveland Market

CLEVELAND — A fire has shut down a historic community market here and destroyed the shops of several of the vendors located inside.

The West Side Market, Cleveland’s oldest publicly owned market, had celebrated its centennial anniversary in November. The fire appears to have started by accident, according to published reports.

Some of the produce vendors who operate outside the market’s main building were able to reopen on Friday, two days after the conflagration left the area covered in ashes and soot. Some vendors with shops inside the main building were quoted as saying they hoped to reopen “within a few weeks.”

The centerpiece of the market is a yellow brick building with a 137-foot clock tower. The building opened in 1912 and was most recently renovated in 2004.

Read More: http://supermarketnews.com/retail-amp-financial/fire-hits-historic-cleveland-market#ixzz2JvJxdFjg

2 replies, 695 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Fire Hits Historic Cleveland Market (Original post)
Sherman A1 Feb 2013 OP
InkAddict Feb 2013 #1
ok_cpu Feb 2013 #2

Response to Sherman A1 (Original post)

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 11:43 AM

1. I was saddened to read this...

I remember that you had to get up early and take a cooler, but it was soooo worth it. Hope things get back on track very soon. It's a wonderful shopping experience.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Sherman A1 (Original post)

Mon Feb 18, 2013, 09:02 AM

2. Opening back up today.

We're on our way up in a bit, as a matter of fact. Lots of pent-up demand from the last three weeks.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread