HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » North Carolina (Group) » NC Senators Force ALEC Bi...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu May 2, 2013, 12:25 PM

NC Senators Force ALEC Bill Through Committee Without Counting Votes

Bitter from a lack of support for his attacks on clean energy incentives, North Carolina Representative Mike Hager is promising some new, dirty tricks to revive the effort. His colleagues in the NC Senate appear to be helping, today advancing the Senate version of Rep. Hager’s bill through committee without counting the votes.

The bill was clearly a contentious one with a close “voice vote” — it’s impossible from listening to tell whether the Yeas (anti clean energy votes) or Nays (pro clean energy votes) were actually louder. Yet the Senate Finance committee co-chairman Bill Rabon talked over Senators requesting a hand vote and quickly adjourned the meeting. The Raleigh News & Observer writes:

Opponents of the bill loudly voted “No!” to show their frustration at the Republican chairman’s decision not to count individual votes. In what was clearly a razor-thin margin, both sides said they would have won if votes had been counted.

A video of the hearing is available: watch the last minute for the rushed conclusion and clear frustration among dissenting Senators.

MORE (with additional links):

http://www.nationofchange.org/nc-senators-force-alec-bill-through-committee-without-even-counting-votes-1367505457

7 replies, 1059 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply NC Senators Force ALEC Bill Through Committee Without Counting Votes (Original post)
Triana May 2013 OP
denverbill May 2013 #1
Triana May 2013 #2
barbtries May 2013 #3
octoberlib May 2013 #4
barbtries May 2013 #5
Triana May 2013 #6
barbtries May 2013 #7

Response to Triana (Original post)

Thu May 2, 2013, 12:29 PM

1. I'd like to hear the howling that would ensue if Democrats did this.

How can they not allow a vote count? I thought that was in the rules of parliamentary procedure. Why not just declare every motion he supports carries and every one he opposes fails no matter if it's just him voting that way?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to denverbill (Reply #1)

Thu May 2, 2013, 12:36 PM

2. They'd raise holy hell if Dems attempted such mob rule.

Be SURE to read the rest of the article. It's exasperating. Appalling. Duke and te goddamned Koch Bros OWN North Carolina. Hager will RAM this bill through numerous times he says until it passes. It's what Duke and Koch want.

Reply to this post

Thu May 2, 2013, 02:38 PM

3. i can hardly believe

this craziness. it's so wrong. bye by democracy in NC. something new every day

Reply to this post

Thu May 2, 2013, 03:39 PM

4. Constitutions mean nothing to these people. Scandal is going to bring this government down.

They're all crooks.

Reply to this post

Thu May 2, 2013, 08:15 PM

5. omigawd i just listened to it.

the No's took it. how can they get away with this? i feel my blood pressure rising from frustration.

Reply to this post

Response to barbtries (Reply #5)

Fri May 3, 2013, 07:52 AM

6. I couldn't stomach listening.

I figured as much -- that the "noes" were just drowned out.

NC is officially a Michigan-Wisconsin-style DICTATORSHIP run by Duke Energy and the Koch Bros.

Reply to this post

Response to Triana (Reply #6)

Fri May 3, 2013, 12:14 PM

7. they actually were not drowned out.

they were simply ignored. it sickens.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread