HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » North Carolina (Group) » Goolsby files bill to com...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 11:11 PM

Goolsby files bill to combat sex trafficking in N.C.

By Kevin Maurer
Kevin.Maurer@StarNewsOnline.com
Published: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 3:16 p.m.
Last Modified: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 3:16 p.m.

A bill filed in the state Senate Wednesday by a local senator would require those convicted of human trafficking, or pimps, to register as sex offenders

Sen. Thom Goolsby, R-New Hanover, filed his Sex Trafficking/Sex Offender Registration act Wednesday. It is the second of several bills Goolsby filed this week as he starts to work on his legislative agenda.

North Carolina ranks among the eight worst states for sex trafficking, according to a state coalition. The problem many attribute to the prevalence of major interstates, ports, military bases and a transient workforce, Goolsby said.

"It has just finally come on the radar," Goolsby said. "We have to get North Carolina out of that top 10."

Kevin Maurer: 343-2339

On Twitter: @StarNewsKevin

http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20130220/ARTICLES/130229976/1177?p=2&tc=pg

1 replies, 680 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Goolsby files bill to combat sex trafficking in N.C. (Original post)
littlemissmartypants Feb 2013 OP
NYC_SKP Feb 2013 #1

Response to littlemissmartypants (Original post)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 11:24 PM

1. Mixed feelings on this.

I do think that the trade has abusive elements, brokers and pimps exploiting vulnerable women and men.

In practice, however, would this R Senator just want to fuck everyone in the trade?

I support the freedom of working girls to work, I abhor the abuse that often happens.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread