HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » North Carolina (Group) » North Carolina Moves to T...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 06:49 PM

North Carolina Moves to Toss Out Regulators

The North Carolina state senate has approved a bill to fire all the members of the states' regulatory bodies, including all the members of the Utilities Commission, the Coastal Resources Commission, the Environmental Management Commission, and the Wildlife Resources Commission.
The bill, which would affect 131 regulators, will now be considered in the state house. Dumping all the current members of the commissions would allow the newly instated Republican governor, Pat McCrory, to replace them. The Charlotte Observer has more on the plan. As you might imagine, Democrats are livid:

"I think it is a breathtaking and unprecedented power grab ó there's no other way to describe it," said Senate Minority Whip Josh Stein, D-Wake, adding that removing everyone at once means the panels lose expertise in things such as regulating power companies and coastal issues.
"Look, they won. I understand that Gov. McCrory gets to make appointments," Stein said, "but their throwing the entire thing out so they can put their folks on is just wrong."
While trying to deny that it's a political play, Republican lawmakers basically said that yes, that's what it is:

The new "administration may see fit to have the people on boards and commissions that, let's say, are more like minded and who are willing to carry out the desires, if you will, or the philosophy of the new administration," Rabon told committee members.
The Observer editorialized against the bill on Friday, calling it a "dangerous power grab." The paper also points out how the bill would affect some of the state's most important environmental regulatory bodies:

In some instances, it strips requirements that have been seen as protecting the publicís interest. At the Coastal Resources Commission, for instance, the governor would no longer have to appoint at least one person associated with a conservation organization. He would, however, have to appoint two experienced in land development. At the Environmental Management Commission, the governor would no longer have to appoint a doctor with experience in the health effects of environmental pollution; he would still be required to appoint a person who is employed by or recently retired from an industrial manufacturing facility.
Ousting all the regulators could dramatically affect coastal planning. North Carolina is among the states that are already seeing effects from sea level rise. But last year, the legislature decided to pretend climate change doesn't exist rather than let it interfere in their coastal development plans, voting to bar state scientists from factoring sea level rise into coastal projections.

http://www.motherjones.com/blue-marble/2013/02/north-carolina-moves-toss-out-regulators

11 replies, 1301 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply North Carolina Moves to Toss Out Regulators (Original post)
octoberlib Feb 2013 OP
aquart Feb 2013 #1
movonne Feb 2013 #2
SoCalNative Feb 2013 #3
blkmusclmachine Feb 2013 #9
upaloopa Feb 2013 #4
barbtries Feb 2013 #6
nc4bo Feb 2013 #11
octoberlib Feb 2013 #5
ProfessionalLeftist Feb 2013 #7
littlewolf Feb 2013 #8
alarimer Feb 2013 #10

Response to octoberlib (Original post)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 06:55 PM

1. So, if North Carolina is washed away, will it still have a governor?

The governor wants dead citizens and he's going to get them.

Property values ain't going up in North Carolina.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 06:57 PM

2. My God!!! what is happening to this country...how

can the people of NC stand still for this shit..it will turn into a shit hole...

Reply to this post

Response to movonne (Reply #2)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 07:09 PM

3. I will tell you what's happening

the sore losers in the GOP are making it their mission to drag this country to the bottom so that they can blame it on the brown person in the White House.

Reply to this post

Response to SoCalNative (Reply #3)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 09:18 PM

9. The WH is still shopping for a pair of comfy shoes.

I don't think the GOP is at all concerned about what the WH might do, someday, maybe.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 07:18 PM

4. NC deserves the government they voted for.

Of they don't know by now they are getting screwed they never will.

Reply to this post

Response to upaloopa (Reply #4)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 08:15 PM

6. we didn't all vote for this clusterfuck.

unfortunately we must all suffer for it.

Reply to this post

Response to barbtries (Reply #6)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 11:21 PM

11. And that's the part that's going to sting the most.

We did not all vote for this crap and it will be a crapfest craptopia shortly - it won't even take 4 years. We're working on month 2 and the stench is already overpowering.

Dems here have some damn work to do and they best get started right now. This idiot Governor is going to do what his masters tell him to do come hell or high water.

I feel sick just thinking about it.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 07:46 PM

5. A couple days ago

I saw Eric Cantor on MSNBC talking about education. He basically said the same thing McCrory's been saying about the "educational elite". All of these Repub congressmen and governors in OH, MI etc. are following the same ALEC/Koch script.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 08:34 PM

7. NC is the next Michigan, Wisconsin, Arizona, I'm afraid.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 08:43 PM

8. this is insanity.

At the Coastal Resources Commission, for instance, the governor would no longer have to appoint at least one person associated with a conservation organization. He would, however, have to appoint two experienced in land development

so instead of someone who knows something conservation he appoints someone who can develop seaside property? stupid!

2. At the Environmental Management Commission ...
he would still be required to appoint a person who is employed by or recently retired from an industrial manufacturing facility.
this is crazy.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 10:57 PM

10. I fucking hate these people

They are evil. Republicans are EVIL.

This is such a nightmare. My job, although not associated with any of those commissions, is probably not long for this world, if that evil piece of shit has his way.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread