HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Minnesota (Group) » Will the Huma Abedin comm...

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 12:38 AM

Will the Huma Abedin comments be enough to derail Bachmann?

Michele Bachmann first won election to represent Minnesota's 6th congressional district in 2006 (the year when the Democrats won back control of the House for the first time in 12 years). And since then she's been making all sorts of crazy statements and proudly boasting her evangelical Christianity. Among her 3 elections, her closest election was in 2008 when she won by only 3 pct points. In October '08, some polls showed that DFL challenger Elwyn Tinklenberg had a slight lead! Then came the Tea Party Takeover of 2010, and Bachmann won by 13% over DFL challenger Tarryl Clark.

Among her share of outrageous and laughable statements such as HPV vaccines causing mental retardation, Obama being anti-American, Planned Parenthood giving secret abortions to 13-year-olds, etc., I think some people in Bachmann's district might have had enough after Bachmann made up that conspiracy theory about the Muslim Brotherhood infiltrating the State Dept. Even though MN-6 has a Cook PVI index of R+6 (Republicans have a 6% advantage). I could have posted this in GD, but I think I'd pose this question to the people who know Minnesota politics the best. Now I wonder if Bachmann might lose her seat this fall due to those in her district who disapproved of her comments about Abedin and heck even those Bachmann hardliners disillusioned with Romney! And if you're a Minnesota Vikings fan you probably remember how the Vikings blew chances to make the Super Bowl first in 1999 when Gary Anderson missed that late field goal or 2010 when Brett Favre threw that interception with fewer than 20 seconds left...well it seems like Bachmann's Muslim brotherhood accusations symbolically are giving her DFL challenger this year, Jim Graves, a run for it in the months ahead. Graves responded to Bachmann's comments about Abedin: "At a time when our leaders should be focusing on the economic hardships facing Minnesota families, Rep. Bachmann is only interested in using fear to gain publicity for herself. Her destructive form of politics has divided our country and weakened our ability to take on the real challenge we need to address—getting people back to work."

One more thing about Graves. I'm looking up his website and read that Graves has founded many businesses in Minnesota including a motel chain. You might have heard conservatives complain that Obama doesn't have any business experience. Well, I'm not sure if Michele co-owning that "pray the gay away" clinic is exactly a storied business career...and one can argue that is even unethical.

5 replies, 1250 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Will the Huma Abedin comments be enough to derail Bachmann? (Original post)
alp227 Aug 2012 OP
dballance Aug 2012 #1
Kalidurga Aug 2012 #2
glinda Aug 2012 #4
Brickbat Aug 2012 #5
DCKit Aug 2012 #3

Response to alp227 (Original post)

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 01:36 AM

1. I would hope so BUT

The crazy Tea Party cult that got her elected in the first place is probably eating it up and will be at the polls en masse to keep her in office. Maybe there is hope. Didn't her district get re-drawn? Perhaps it encompassed some sane people.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to dballance (Reply #1)

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 01:54 AM

2. I was gonna say...

Yeah her district is as nuts as she is. I have heard some hair raising stories from that district. It seems St. Cloud is the only sane place up there. I just hope that her district is like you say saner now.

Reply to this post

Response to Kalidurga (Reply #2)

Fri Aug 3, 2012, 10:55 AM

4. St. Cloud is not so sane....

Reply to this post

Response to Kalidurga (Reply #2)

Sat Aug 4, 2012, 10:32 AM

5. Are you kidding about St. Cloud? It's a backwards place.

Reply to this post

Response to dballance (Reply #1)

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 06:39 AM

3. +1 Little hope she's going away.

She's the mascot of the insane right.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread