Fri Nov 30, 2012, 05:10 PM
MichiganVote (19,349 posts)
NEEDED: A Million Michigan Voices for Public Education
Folks, this is a CRITICAL alert to let you all know about what the Republican led Legislature and Governor of Michigan are doing to the taxpayers in Michigan. The following bills are in play and they are expecting to pass them before the end of the year. I want to STRESS--at the present time there is a virtual lock down on the news regarding what these bills REALLY mean.
a) The Educational Achievement Authority (EAA) bill (HB 6004/SB 1358)
b) The Selective Enrollment Schools bill (HB 5923)
c) The Parent Trigger bill (SB 620)
This is no joke. What these three bills do is:
1. There is no local control of schools per these bills. NONE. ALL of Michigan's schools will be presided over by a 5 person board that is appointed by the Governor of the state
2. As stated, there is only State control-elected school board, even is they exist, will not be worth the paper they are printed on
3. Citizens will still be required to pay the property taxes that will be funneled into corporate and state controlled schools
4. The state can claim essentially Eminent Domain of any school in any area and GIVE it to a corporate run school
5. The so called public Charter schools can determine their enrollments by race, grade achievement or for any other purpose. These bills terminate Free and Appropriate Public Education for ALL, or FAPE.
6. The so called public Charter schools are exempt from the state testing and all forms of teacher evaluations as currently imposed on public schools by the state
7. There are no sanctions against so called Charter schools for failing graduation rates, for failing schools and for poor attendance by students
8. There is no plan of oversight for the online HS programs-meaning-any kid anywhere can cheat
9. So called Charter schools can refuse to admit or educate special needs students-a direct violation of IDEA
10. So called public schools are permitted to charge tuition
11. So called public schools are to be paid more in state money for taking in foreign students-meaning we pay the tax dollars to educate foreign students
12. Dual enrollment has been expanded. Meaning-can't afford your own kid's college, don't worry, now you can pay for some foreign kid and their AYP or College level courses
13. There is no requirement for the Arts in the so called public Charter schools
14. Any student can attend any school, their dollars go with them. There is no funding plan in place for this.
Pay attention. You are underwriting the corporate schools with your tax dollars. There is NO mention in these bills about failing schools. This is a power play to take, not give.
WATCH THE PODCAST-decide for yourself-DO YOU WANT YOUR KIDS TO GO TO WALMART HIGH???
If you live in Michigan, and even if you don't, contact your legislator NOW.
4 replies, 1159 views
Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Response to MichiganVote (Original post)
Sat Dec 1, 2012, 06:03 AM
zwyziec (116 posts)
Thanks for this update. I suspect that this power grab of taxpayer dollars, if passed, will experience numerous lawsuits, leading to a Federal Judge or the Supreme Court ruling that it is unconstitutional.
Response to zwyziec (Reply #2)
Tue Dec 4, 2012, 11:58 PM
TruthTeller (192 posts)
3. In the mean time....
it will devastate Public Education in Michigan. Please email your representatives and senators. I have twice this week and called each three times since Monday.