HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Iowa (Group) » Help! My Iowa sister and...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Sep 3, 2012, 01:04 PM

Help! My Iowa sister and brother-in-law 80 yrs old planning to vote for..

Last edited Mon Sep 3, 2012, 05:08 PM - Edit history (2)

Romney.

They are white middle class, living on a federal employee pension.

They voted for Obama in 2008.

They are economically ignorant, afraid of debt, pay all their bills on time. My sister is a weekly church-going protestant who is socially liberal about issues like gay marriage, and helping out poor folks. I don't understand why they got themselves to this place where Romney appeals to them, but they say it's because of the jobs. Yet they have both been retired for over 15 years!!!

They have not many black folks in the town where they live in a federal state-subsidized elderly residential community, where they THINK they pay for everything in their condo fees, including on-site preventative Medicare health services and vans to the clinics close- by.

They are both health impaired, with major issues staring them in the face. They may live 10-12 years each, or just live two years.

They have two children in their 50's, five grandchildren, two great grand-children, all of whom they love deeply.

They fear the debt on those kids and grand-kids, and great-grand-kids. Yet they probably pay for everything on their federal pension and savings and inheritance they have amassed over their lifetime, probably close to half a million dollars in savings, which they want to pass on to their grand-kids.

Why are they so afraid? Why is Romney offering them any appeal at all?

Can you help me, not living in Iowa, assist them in finding a way to vote for Obama? Do you have any arguments that would appeal to hard-working, now retired independents who voted for Reagan, Clinton, Bush 2 once, Kerry, and Obama? These folks need something to make them think deeply about what they would be doing throwing Iowa to Romney. I know there's wind power and research and corn in Iowa, I have been there 5-6 times in my life, loved that part of the country. But how do we get seniors there to see that Romney will not help them? How do we convince older people in Iowa that Obama is their best bet for the rest of their days?

21 replies, 2782 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 21 replies Author Time Post
Reply Help! My Iowa sister and brother-in-law 80 yrs old planning to vote for.. (Original post)
DavidL Sep 2012 OP
southernyankeebelle Sep 2012 #1
DavidL Sep 2012 #2
Jackpine Radical Sep 2012 #3
DavidL Sep 2012 #5
southernyankeebelle Sep 2012 #17
summerschild Sep 2012 #7
DavidL Sep 2012 #14
southernyankeebelle Sep 2012 #8
DavidL Sep 2012 #15
southernyankeebelle Sep 2012 #16
southernyankeebelle Sep 2012 #13
Frustratedlady Sep 2012 #4
DavidL Sep 2012 #6
Frustratedlady Sep 2012 #9
DavidL Sep 2012 #10
progressoid Sep 2012 #11
IADEMO2004 Sep 2012 #12
summerschild Sep 2012 #18
DavidL Sep 2012 #19
summerschild Sep 2012 #20
DavidL Sep 2012 #21

Response to DavidL (Original post)

Mon Sep 3, 2012, 01:14 PM

1. Tell them their government pensions aren't that safe today. Plus if they repeal medicare

that will effect people who are 65 or older now. That donut hole will be gone.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to southernyankeebelle (Reply #1)

Mon Sep 3, 2012, 01:16 PM

2. Good one! But I think they have federal health insurance

better than Medicare, more like what Congress people get. They pay little or nothing and never have!

Reply to this post

Response to DavidL (Reply #2)

Mon Sep 3, 2012, 01:20 PM

3. Sure, but their kids are below the R/R cutoff age for SS & MC.

How about things like climate change & the world Romney would deliver to their kids?

How about simply getting them to understand who is paying for the various services they receive? Like, do a little research yourself & sit down with them.

Reply to this post

Response to Jackpine Radical (Reply #3)

Mon Sep 3, 2012, 01:45 PM

5. I'm not in a position to "sit down with them" being in the UK

I have a career here, (and vote absentee in a solid blue state), a few things to think about and do research on here.

I'm asking YOU because you live in Iowa, and it's probably NOT JUST MY SISTER who is thinking of voting like this.

I'm trying to challenge you folks to get out there and present the case for independent Iowa seniors to vote for Obama.

My sister is probably quite typical of many thousands of Iowa seniors thinking of voting for Romney. So when I say"HELP", I'm asking your state to help itself out of this mess for Obama with senior moderately independent voters.

Reply to this post

Response to DavidL (Reply #5)

Wed Sep 5, 2012, 10:21 AM

17. What kills me about seniors voting for republicans is a wonderment to me. They have

never liked the social safety net and yet these seniors vote for the republicans strickly based on abortion, or gay issues. It boogles the mind. Yet if the republicans ever outlawed abortions they would have nothing to run on. Why can't the retired seniors and low income citizens see republicans are for the wealthy and dems are for the working people.

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 3, 2012, 02:18 PM

7. Federal pensioners can carry health benefits (FEHB) into retirement but pay full cost.

Retirees lose the employer/gov subsidy paid on behalf of active employees. They can continue FEHB coverage after they become eligible for Medicare (age 65) but just like with private plans, Medicare becomes primary and any other coverage is secondary. For this reason, many federal retirees drop FEHB completely once eligible for Medicare, or accept Medicare and continue FEHB in a lower plan (less benefits/less cost) to use FEHB to cover any differences still owed.

If either is a veteran, there are some military plans they might be relying on. I don't know how those would factor in.

If they're typical federal retirees, they are using Medicare. (Medicare A is free, so most retirees take it - you have to actually decline it.)

Since the dishonest Repubs say their plan won't apply to current Medicare recipients, they won't be affected by the voucher system right now but their children will. Ask them how they would be affected if (at age 80) Romney gave them a check today and told them to go find an insurer that would cover them at their age - and what they would have to pay for it. THAT'S WHAT THEIR CHILDREN will have to deal with.

Reply to this post

Response to summerschild (Reply #7)

Wed Sep 5, 2012, 09:40 AM

14. Thanks for the info, yes one is a vet

and sister collects Soc Sec, They SAY they have wonderful health insurance, get their pills for almost free, but no details are discussed.

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 3, 2012, 02:24 PM

8. My husband is retired from the military and we have Tricare government health insurance

But they shouldn't sit on their butts thinking nothing could happen to the pensions. If Ryan's plan has his way things will change for retirees. Don't think it won't. Our Tricare payments are already going up and if your on medicare and Ryan has his way the gains that Obamacare has made especially closing the loophole on the donut hole will be gone. The VocherCare they want to give us if you go on Medicare at 65 under R&R you will be paying $6,000 more a yr. You better tell them to thing and google what they have planned. Better yet you google and print it out and show them.

Republicans are only interested in helping corporations and the wealth. They don't care for the retired.

By the way Obama has put more private sector jobs since he has become president then Bush did in 8 yrs.

Reply to this post

Response to southernyankeebelle (Reply #8)

Wed Sep 5, 2012, 09:45 AM

15. Thanks. I have told them that one about jobs

they simply say "I don't believe it because so and so has been out of work for..."

And they seem to have a problem with black people in authority, I am beginning to think. My sister grew up and lives in an all white area, and I think she absorbed her husband's bigotry over the last 50 years. They also have little education in economics, and they forget things more often than they used to, so they may not remember how bad it got in 2008.

Reply to this post

Response to DavidL (Reply #15)

Wed Sep 5, 2012, 10:15 AM

16. How sad. You may want to remind them that many GIs in the military are black and are

fighting for their rights to be racists. (LOL) I always go off on people like that. I tell people you should be thanking them for fighting for you. By the way I know alot of educated idiots. I only had a high school education but one thing my parents taught me and my siblings was people of color are no different from you and me except for our colors. People are people, period. Sometimes you just can't reason with stupid. Just remind them they are being fake if they are complaining about social seccurity, medicare or medicaid and collecting them. If they don't want government messing in their business then when its time to collect tell the government you don't want it. But them again these problems are programs we the people have paid for and no one is giving us anything.

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 4, 2012, 04:56 PM

13. I have TRICARE Primary that is for military retirees and their families. When I reach

65 I will have to go on MEDICARE. I have a twin sister who retired also. She was civil service and she will have to go on MEDICARE. She can get a supplement but we still have to go on Medicare. I will have Medicare and Tricare for Life which are both good. If they were on some type of government health insurance or any insurance I think everyone has to go on Medicare and you can get a supplement.

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 3, 2012, 01:23 PM

4. Sounds like they are in King's district.

I am a Senior Citizen from Iowa and run into this quite often. My first question is, "I assume you watch FOX for your news?" Most of the time, they admit they do...or, they listen to Rush at noon, or whenever he comes on in their area.

I don't think people realize how much poison these radio shows and FOX-types put in the minds of the elderly. I saw through it years ago, but it is much worse in the last 12 years or so. If they aren't listening to the Hannity-Rush-Huckabee types, their friends probably are and they are hearing this crap at church functions or from the neighbors and friends. Once the Repugs have them scared, they are under their control.

Are they going to watch Obama and the Democratic convention? Would they if you asked them? Are they computer-savvy? Can you send them information from FactCheck, or whatever that site is? Send them links to articles that are posted on here or other sites you trust. If they aren't on the Net, ask them to double-check the information they are being given through studying newspaper/magazine articles or offer to check it for them. Most newspapers in Iowa try to be balanced and show both sides of an issue. Even LTTEs are balanced by number...

Ask if they realize which of their benefits are from the government and how would they get by without them in the event the Repugs succeed in putting an end to SS, Medicare, etc. If anyone believes they are going to leave those 55 and older alone, I've got a lot in Arkansas I'll sell ya.

Do they know how Romney pulled off his Bain schemes? Do they think he made his money the old-fashioned way? Iowans treasure hard work and honesty. Nothing Romney did/does would work in Iowa...including putting Seamus on the roof of his car.

Iowans usually recognize snake-oil salesmen by the smell.

Good luck!

Reply to this post

Response to Frustratedlady (Reply #4)

Mon Sep 3, 2012, 01:56 PM

6. Thanks, I send them emails about facts

They don't respond, and they admitted to another sister that they plan to vote for Romney.

I have sent them stuff for 2 weeks, before and during the RNC.

I asked them to watch Obama, (who they have actually gone to see in person twice in Iowa in the last 4 years).

They watch ABC, ("less yelling, easy to listen to") they don't listen to Rush, they don't get lectured at their church that supports gays and homeless. They give money to church, and nothing else, "everyone else should make it on their own", they say.

They think some Republicans are trash, they think some Democrats are trash, (Ted Kennedy was their nemesis, even tho he never was in Iowa).

They simply state that Obama has had four years, and hasn't fixed the jobs situation, so they want someone new. That's as deep as they go. (I suspect one or both of them were very uneasy giving the Presidency to a black man in 2008, but I can't be sure, they seem to not relate to people other than their own "kind" but I never see them overtly make racist comments, they are very insular, think America is all like Iowa.)

Reply to this post

Response to DavidL (Reply #6)

Mon Sep 3, 2012, 02:50 PM

9. Ooooo, are they in for a surprise when they find out...

the percentage of whites to others.

Have you sent them the charts that show how things went downhill under Bush but improved under Obama? There are tons of them and they are very easy to understand.

Somewhere (and we should have it posted each day of this week) there is a list of legislation the Repugs blocked from the floor...wouldn't even discuss them. Surely, there is a chart that shows how many of those were job bills. Do they realize that if Romney gets in, their grandchildren could lose coverage if they have a preexisting condition?

You also might mention that it is a shame that people don't like Obama because he is black...if they don't like the black half, they might remember that he's also half white.

Some people can't be helped, but then again, you might just say the one thing that turns that lightbulb on in their brain and VOILA.

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 3, 2012, 05:07 PM

10. I guess I was also wondering if Iowa has an outreach to elderly like...

my sister.

Do you folks have similar elder folks, city and town managers, ministers, other retirees who go around to people like my sister, and discuss the issues with them.

My sister reads a local paper, watches 30 minutes of news a day, does her email twice a week, and somehow doesn't get the facts.

Does Iowa have an outreach to confused elderly who think the deficit is somehow NOW important when it wasn't in 2004- 2008? People who can talk about medicare cuts to elderly under Romney Ryan's repeal of Obamacare? People who can talk about wind farms and ethanol and other things going on in Iowa that save our nation millions of barrels of imported oil?

Who is reaching out to independent elderly, ALMOST ALL OF WHOM VOTE!

Reply to this post

Response to DavidL (Reply #10)

Tue Sep 4, 2012, 02:27 AM

11. I'm not aware of any such program but

if they are registered to vote as a Dem or Indy, there is a possibility they'll have a conversation with one of our GOTV people. We often will have to field questions and attempt to de-program some people when calling about absentee ballots etc.

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 4, 2012, 12:48 PM

12. If they vote for Romney they are pulling the ladder up behind them...

leaving their children and grand children in rising water. Short sighted and self centered thinking.

edit to add

Put a parental lock-out on Fox news channel.

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 6, 2012, 12:59 PM

18. The story of your elderly relatives has haunted me because it is the story of millions

of aged low information voters beseiged with so much negative, false information.

Obviously they have a computer. Send them Bill Clinton's speech:

Full video of Clinton all in one link:
http://www.nytimes.com/video/2012/09/06/us/politics/100000001763238/bill-clintons-speech-.html

transcript of full speech (video in sections not as effective):
http://www.enstarz.com/articles/6263/20120906/clinton-speech-video-bill-clintons-full-speech-and-transcript-text-at-dnc-2012.htm

Have you thought to point out that Romney/Ryan/Republicans hold federal employees and their pensions in total contempt?I retired from the Postal Service a few years ago, and as most people (?) know, our employees AND retirees are under fullblown attack by Republicans in Congress. They won't rest until they've destroyed the unions and eliminate or minimize benefits for USPS workers and retirees. It's all the way up and down the list - from local public servants like firefighters and teachers to federal agencies. I'm sure they'll find a way to spare Congressmen - they always do. Of course, most of those are millionnaires anyway, and don't have to have their federal pensions and benefits to survive.

Good luck!

Reply to this post

Response to summerschild (Reply #18)

Thu Sep 6, 2012, 05:44 PM

19. Thank you, I think Clinton got through to her

I think she stayed up late enough or saw reports or read emails from relatives.

I think she's going to vote for Obama, her husband, he's too far gone into inflexibility and never admitting he's wrong.

I doubt I can sway TWO votes, one will be all we can change.

Reply to this post

Response to DavidL (Reply #19)

Thu Sep 6, 2012, 06:21 PM

20. Hooray & Congratulations!

You're a good brother and a good citizen!

Her vote for Romney would not be in her best interest, the best interest of her children, or the country!

Reply to this post

Response to summerschild (Reply #20)

Fri Sep 7, 2012, 06:37 AM

21. Thanks, It's 11:30 AM where I am, 5:30 AM where she is

I cannot call her on SkYpe now

I get to watch NBC, and see stuff on the internet, so I saw Biden and Obama early this morning on re-runs from Charlotte last night.

We have NBC Europe here, and CNN-International and internet.

I think we have more than they have in Iowa, actually.

I hope she watched Obama last night, but maybe she slept through it. I was asleep when Obama was speaking, but it was after 3 AM here.

But you have to hand it to Clinton, not me. She voted for Clinton 2 times, I believe, so she likes him.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread