HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Hawaii (Group) » Keep the City City ó Hono...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Oct 22, 2012, 05:22 PM

Keep the City City ó Honolulu Mayoral Candidates Talk Vision

By Nick Grube 10/22/2012

Kirk Caldwell wants to change the face of Honolulu. Ben Cayetano doesnít.

Caldwell sees a future in which the city is a burgeoning, mixed-use metropolis, with even more high rises and eclectic, walkable neighborhoods.

His opponent, on the other hand, sees an island thatís in danger of losing its cultural identity to urban sprawl and the influence of developers.

Whether the cityís $5.26 billion rail project stays on course plays a significant role in both of these futures. But letís set rail aside for a minute.

This is about vision. Itís also about how each candidate intends to make Oahu a better place to live.

More: http://www.civilbeat.com/articles/2012/10/22/17426-keep-the-city-city-honolulu-mayoral-candidates-talk-vision/

Good look at the politics of development. I say build rail, build Kaakako and that's it. We're not going to have 1.5 million people on Oahu. It's just not viable.

2 replies, 764 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Keep the City City ó Honolulu Mayoral Candidates Talk Vision (Original post)
ellisonz Oct 2012 OP
ProgressiveProfessor Oct 2012 #1
ellisonz Oct 2012 #2

Response to ellisonz (Original post)

Mon Oct 22, 2012, 07:12 PM

1. To whom would you deny residency on Oahu?

The next generation of local poor? The children who while reared there went to college on the Mainland?

When you restrict availability, cost goes up. Unlike the mainland, there is an absolute limit as to where people can be.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to ProgressiveProfessor (Reply #1)

Mon Oct 22, 2012, 07:44 PM

2. I just wouldn't encourage urban sprawl...

...and I would accept that we have substantial water supply issues.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread