HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Florida (Group) » Florida Democratic Party ...

Sun Jan 6, 2013, 07:29 PM

Florida Democratic Party Chairís Race: Weíve Already Won

http://thepoliticalhurricane.com/2013/01/06/guest-column-florida-democratic-party-chairs-race-weve-already-won/#more-7336

Guest Column Ė Florida Democratic Party Chairís Race: Weíve Already Won

Posted on January 6, 2013 by Kartik Krishnaiyer

Guest column by Kevin Thurman

In 2010 when Andrew Gillum was the last to concede the chairmanship to Rod Smith we elected another party chair that took that position without explaining to Democrats how they plan to change our electoral fortunes. This record stretches back decades.

In fact, in 2002 after Bob Poe left his position as Party Chair due to major electoral losses . Scott Maddox didnít even have an opponent . Weíve been electing party chairs without opposition or real plans for a long time. So itís great we are trying something different ó with the race between Allison Tant and Alan Clendenin. We are using a chair race to determine the direction of the Party. States like Colorado, Ohio, North Carolina, and dozens of others had these kinds of fights years ago. We never did.

Why? Florida Democrats face an uphill battle to raise as much money as Republicans for state races we have taken a typical and understandable route of avoid primary fights or internal party elections. Weíd like focus on winning the next election, right? Itís a reasonable strategy, but over the last 14 years it just hasnít worked. Avoiding internal party fights can have itís advantages, but having them can also help a lot. This Florida Democratic Party Chairís race is helping us.

This time Florida Democrats may actually get to cast a vote for who their chair will be. Even after some good victories we are taking a serious look at how we can do better. And now, for the first time ever, we have two plans for Democrats to review and throw their support behind.
If you need an example just look at each of their plans (Alanís plan & Allisonís plan). Then youíll see that we are getting some improvements no matter who becomes the next party chair:
- More focus on local parties
- More extensive recruitment
- A new fundraising committee to expand the donor base
- Better engagement with activists

If all these four things happen we will be in a much better place as a Party. And itís something that Florida Democrats can hold their Party Chair accountable for no matter who wins later this month.

However, there are some very specific differences. Clendenin has committed to a 67 county strategy and recruitment, Tant hasnít. Clendenin has committed to focuing efforts on GOTV, Tant hasnít. Clendenin is running a much more grassroots oriented campaign. Tant has much more experience raising large sums than Clendenin. Tant is more focused on the Governorís race than Clendenin. I could go on and on ó but there are good arguments for us to have as a party and we will be better for it.

This race reminds me a lot of the 2004 DNC Chairs race I worked on. In the end Howard Dean results showed he did did well as DNC chair, but I understood why many supported Martin Frost at the time.

That is why I am glad this race is happening. I endorse the election and I think both will already be better party leaders after the race is finished than they would before it. I really donít care who wins the majority of votes.

This race does present is one danger: personal attacks. While Clendenin and Tant havenít been incredibly negative ó many of their supporters have been. I am disappointed with some Clendenin supporters attacks on party staff, consultants, and fundraisers. I am also disappointed with some Tant supporters attacks on activists, volunteer, and leaders. Letís keep those to a minimum and instead argue on how to build a strong party.

1 replies, 771 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Florida Democratic Party Chairís Race: Weíve Already Won (Original post)
SugarShack Jan 2013 OP
Orlandodem Jan 2013 #1

Response to SugarShack (Original post)

Mon Jan 7, 2013, 05:39 AM

1. That is to be determined by whether we win in Nov 2014.

Anything less than defeating Rick Scott AND making significant inroads in the legialature (to the point that Dems are helping craft legislation in at keast ine chamber) should be viewed as a loss.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread