HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Delaware (Group) » Delaware Online access li...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Feb 24, 2012, 11:23 AM

Delaware Online access limited to one article unless you subscribe.

Looks like today is the first day (?)

I usually check it out for the obituaries and local info before coming to DU for National News. I refuse to support Gannett so I guess my one-a-day will be to check obits and I'll have to find another source for local news.

Any thoughts?

http://www.delawareonline.com/

8 replies, 1585 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Delaware Online access limited to one article unless you subscribe. (Original post)
cyberpj Feb 2012 OP
jberryhill Feb 2012 #1
cyberpj Feb 2012 #2
woodsprite Mar 2012 #3
LynneSin Mar 2012 #4
ges5626sek Apr 2012 #5
kristopher May 2012 #6
cyberpj May 2012 #7
LynneSin May 2012 #8

Response to cyberpj (Original post)

Fri Feb 24, 2012, 12:16 PM

1. We used to get the Morning News *and* The Evening Journal

I don't know who thought taking a newspaper office out of Wilmington and putting it in a swamp was a good idea.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to jberryhill (Reply #1)

Fri Feb 24, 2012, 12:29 PM

2. My family did as well. And I even remember when the news in them was actually different!

Then it became the same.

Then only one paper per day.

And now, mostly AP articles except for the local stuff.

We stopped getting delivery because you couldn't even read the thing without getting the cheap black ink all over your hands and anything else you touched after reading it.

Online is a pain because of the ads and the time it takes to download muti-pages for a single story but it's easier to remember to check in since I'm aleady at my computer most days.

Sigh.....

Maybe it's been too long since I had a subscription now but does $15/month seem like a lot to just find out about local crime and events?

Hey! Remember, too, when we caught movies on either The Early Show or The Late Show out of Philly? I even remember the clock that was the opening photo AND the theme song (with a tick tock sound) that started things off.

"Mem-ries.... in the corners of my mind....."
Sally Starr, Chief Halftown, Pix-anne, Gene London.......
American Bandstand!

Stop! Stop! I'm feeling older by the minute!

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 18, 2012, 09:56 PM

3. I get about 4 emails daily from the Newark Post.

Depending where you are, it covers mainly NCC, DE and Cecil Co., MD. I think the crossover is because the people that do the Newark Post are the same ones that do the Cecil Whig. I don't know if they still have paper versions. They used to be printed and delivered to area stores on Thursdays. I know you could get them free at Concord Pet and McDonalds. Their website is

http://www.newarkpostonline.com/

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 19, 2012, 03:36 PM

4. $15 a fricking month to subscribe to the News Journal online???

Hell for $15 a month I could subscribe to the NYTimes and get way better news than you'd find at the News Journal.

I glance at the headlines and then read Huffington Post.

News Journal screwed themselves on that one. I would have considered a subscription fee like $25-$40 a YEAR tops. but to pay $145 a year just to read the News Journal online - no thank you!

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 04:41 PM

5. kick.

Reply to this post

Wed May 23, 2012, 01:23 AM

6. Read article, clear Delawareonline cookie, read next article, clear cookie

Troublesome, but it works for occasional browsing

Reply to this post

Response to kristopher (Reply #6)

Thu May 24, 2012, 12:24 PM

7. Thanks.

Hadn't even thought of that.

They keep telling me the one article I read per day is my free article. - they've been doing that for the last few weeks now. But sometimes I do want to read more than one.

I wouldn't even mind paying if the price wasn't the same for online AND delivery. For such a small state the 15/mo seems excessive, expecially when so many articles are simply AP reprints. But then I remember they're owned by Gannett Corp now.

Tx again.

Reply to this post

Response to cyberpj (Reply #7)

Thu May 24, 2012, 12:43 PM

8. I just confirmed - NYTimes is the same cost $15 a month

Although they do offer $.99 for the first 4 months. That seems like a reasonable price since the NYTimes is one of the major USA newspapers.

But for the News Journal - not even close. I know that NJ is part of Gantt Publishing - if the $15/month meant unlimited articles for ANY Gantt Newspaper, that might make sense. But I saw about the Cookie clearing with the NJ. I use Google Chrome and really don't want to be clearing cookies all the time, but I do use IE for one website so perhaps I'll just read the NJ on my IE - don't mind clearing cookies on that one.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread