HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » California (Group) » Hispanics soon to outnumb...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 02:34 PM

Hispanics soon to outnumber whites in state

The number of Hispanic people in California will equal the non-Hispanic white population by the middle of the year and surpass it as the largest single racial or ethnic group in the state by 2014, according to projections released Thursday by the state Department of Finance.

The demographic changes will continue, and in 2060 nearly half of California's population will be Hispanic. It's a transformation that will have a profound impact on education, job growth and the economy, according to experts.

If the calculations prove correct, California will become the third state in the nation in which non-Hispanic white citizens are outnumbered by those of another race or ethnic group. New Mexico also has more Hispanics and Hawaii has more Asians than any other individual race.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/Hispanics-soon-to-outnumber-whites-in-state-4241849.php

8 replies, 1049 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Hispanics soon to outnumber whites in state (Original post)
Auggie Feb 2013 OP
pinto Feb 2013 #1
upaloopa Feb 2013 #2
2naSalit Feb 2013 #3
AndyTiedye Feb 2013 #6
2naSalit Feb 2013 #7
KamaAina Feb 2013 #4
Auggie Feb 2013 #5
PasadenaTrudy Feb 2013 #8

Response to Auggie (Original post)

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 02:56 PM

1. Thanks for passing on the stats.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 03:02 PM

2. Many of us live on a former Mexican land grant.

You can trace titles back to the land grant owner.
In his book "Two Years Before The Mast" Dana Jr tells us that in the 1830's there were almost no White people in CA.
The discovery of gold in 1849 changed all that.
So now it's going the way it was.

Reply to this post

Response to upaloopa (Reply #2)

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 03:16 PM

3. Indeed, I was about to say

thaht it wouldn't be the first time the whole region was mostly not Euro-white immigrants. In fact it was all nonEuro-white immigrants only a couple centuries ago. The Mexican (and other central and south American) ethnicities, for the most part are also Native Americans, with the exception of the Spanish bloodlines inserted after the Spanish/Portuguese showed up.

Reply to this post

Response to 2naSalit (Reply #3)

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 06:38 PM

6. That is Why Many of the City Names are in Spanish

Reply to this post

Response to AndyTiedye (Reply #6)

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 08:35 PM

7. I am aware of that

I was conceived in San Diego - lived there several times and spent far more time diving up and down the length and E-W across that state than anyone should be allowed to. Oddly I never learned Spanish because I was actually raised in New England where French was taught in schools starting in the second grade and many towns streets etc are in French. (Spanish is much easier and I kind of wish I had learned that instead since it's more useful than French these days.) Most of my immediate family lives in CA now and most of them learned Spanish in school. And I do agree that it is why the names of cities, towns, counties, landmarks, schools and streets are in Spanish, they were the first Euro-settlers so... The other members of my family speak German and English, I seem to be the only one who knows any French!

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 03:20 PM

4. Oh noes!!! White culture is being exterminated!!!

MORE GUNS!!11!!!11!!

Reply to this post

Response to KamaAina (Reply #4)

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 03:58 PM

5. I'm sure rethug heads are seriously exploding

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 10:47 AM

8. Interesting...

I'm a white native Californian and my two other favorite states are NM and HI