HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » California (Group) » "Fresh & Easy st...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 12:32 AM

"Fresh & Easy store operations in U.S. undergoing strategic review, Tesco says"

FYI...incase other folks in California missed this...note other articles said a sale OR closing down all 200 stores.

"Fresh & Easy store operations in U.S. undergoing strategic review, Tesco says"

By Muhammed El-Hasan Staff Writerdailybreeze.com
Posted: December 5, 2012 10:44 PM GMT

Tesco announced Wednesday that it is conducting a strategic review of its money-losing El Segundo-based chain that could result in sale of the unit.

The announcement comes five years after Tesco opened its first store in Los Angeles.

"It is now clear that Fresh & Easy will not deliver acceptable shareholder returns on an appropriate time frame in its current form," the company said in a statement.

Tesco has hired investment bank Greenhill to help review options. The British retailer said that in recent months it has received "a number of approaches" from potential suitors interested in buying all or part of Fresh & Easy or partnering with Tesco to develop the chain.

continued,
http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/ci_22130206/fresh-easy-store-operations-u-s-undergoing-strategic

15 replies, 2217 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 15 replies Author Time Post
Reply "Fresh & Easy store operations in U.S. undergoing strategic review, Tesco says" (Original post)
SoapBox Dec 2012 OP
ellisonz Dec 2012 #1
SoapBox Dec 2012 #2
msongs Dec 2012 #3
ellisonz Dec 2012 #4
KamaAina Dec 2012 #7
SoapBox Dec 2012 #9
Le Taz Hot Dec 2012 #5
KamaAina Dec 2012 #6
Gormy Cuss Dec 2012 #11
pinto Dec 2012 #8
SalviaBlue Dec 2012 #10
OnionPatch Dec 2012 #14
SHRED Dec 2012 #12
PasadenaTrudy Dec 2012 #13
IndyJones Jan 2013 #15

Response to SoapBox (Original post)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 12:48 AM

1. They tried to compete (poorly) in a difficult market.

Self-checkout just doesn't work in the US of A.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to ellisonz (Reply #1)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 01:48 AM

2. Ya know...

Personally, I LOVE the self check out.

After getting used to it at Home Depot and Lowe's...then learning it at F & E, I cannot stand to wait in line
for a person to check me out.

There is a Fresh & Easy about 2 minutes away from home. I now get 99% of my groceries from them...it's a rare
trip to Ralphs.

I (and multiple neighbors that have talked about this) will be super pissed off if they close. Our other agreement of neighbors is, POOR management (it's a LONG list of things that they have done wrong since they opened.) There were SO many boneheaded things...

Reply to this post

Response to SoapBox (Reply #2)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 02:24 AM

3. you pay for the stuff AND do the work. whatta scam for lowes et al nt

Reply to this post

Response to SoapBox (Reply #2)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 02:34 AM

4. Well as a former grocery store worker...

...and as someone who respects the labor that they do, I understand why F&E is failing in the US. How many people are you buying food for? I think also the 2 minutes away thing has you kind of hooked as a matter of convenience.

Reply to this post

Response to ellisonz (Reply #4)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 12:24 PM

7. It's not always just a matter of convenience

contrary to popular belief, not everyone in California drives a car. Grocery shopping can be an onerous chore for those of us who are transit-dependent. This will make it a lot worse for many.

Reply to this post

Response to ellisonz (Reply #4)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 01:19 PM

9. I buy

for 3...some neighbors are buying for families up to 6. I don't think that the size of the family matters.

Hooked on convenience?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Sorry for the huge puzzlement on that but serious? Some of us are not shopping at union shops because
there is a business that is more convenient? Not to mention fighting traffic, burning gas, fighting in the Ralphs or Albertsons parking
lots, all in the name of shopping union? I then thought that "we all" wanted everyone to shop at Mom and Pop/small business places for "stuff"; aren't they ALL non-union? ...I don't even have an answer for that.

When the original announcement from Tesco about the opening of the Fresh & Easy stores, there was plenty of coverage about being non union, $10.00/hour minimum wage, hours per week about 30 to 40, plus available health insurance (no, I don't know the details or what it costs...just that several employees at my local store were happy to have it)...I still wasn't so sure about them. But, when I finally broke down and went in, establishing regular conversations with many employees there, I found most to be pretty happy...union or not (most of the original opening crews all came from other grocery companies or retailers).

For any problems that they have had or are having, I will place ALL the blame on the management. In my many, many conversations with employees there, I heard story after story of STOOPID management decisions...several of the stoopid, I could see in changes that they've made here and there. So if there are problems and lower sales there is no place to look but in the mirror of management.

I want to support American labor...I want to support union labor...but I also want to support non-union labor as they have to put food on the table and pay bills too. Just because they could not get a job at a union shop is not all their fault. Should I not shop Costco, Target, CVS/Walgreen's/Rite Aid, Big Lots, Starbuck's, etc....because they are not union (and you may correct me if I've mentioned a union shop)? If you and/or others can, more power to you with your shopping dollars...that's great. I at this time and place, don't have that luxury. I do draw a line at Walmart/Bullymart and Sam's...I will never shop those ever.

I've seen 3 (or more?) organization efforts all fail at my employer because we had to fight the company paying a No-Union company, many MILLIONS of dollars to harass, intimidate, brain wash, etc. employees...and it works every time. Then we have the NLRB that always rubber stamps what the company claims thus no union. For my job and company, I'm over the union effort and done with it.

For our labor in America, I really want a "living wage" and safe working environment. I get very, very frustrated with unions at times for their public activities (I want to say antics, but that will probably get me really flamed) and do not believe that they do themselves any favors, in the eyes of the general populace many times. My dream situation would be for ALL workers, union or non, to be unified against corrupt management/ownership. That, would make me really happy.

Now to add...I'm not pick'n on ya! When I see your posts, I like to make the effort to read what you have to say and I respect your posts.

p.s....I didn't intend the OP to get into a union/non discussion, so sorry everyone for trash'n up my own OP!!!!

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 09:09 AM

5. They closed probably half their

stores in the San Joaquin Valley only a few years after several of them went up, pretty much at the same time. I never bought anything there though I did go in one once. I perused their sale papers and wasn't all that impressed with their prices. PLUS, they weren't making any attempt at buying locally -- something that our local chain, SaveMart, strives to do. I just read in Sunday's paper that they're about to close what stores remain here.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 12:22 PM

6. They better find a buyer

or most of the neighborhoods they're in will go back to being food deserts. In the Bay Area, these would include San Francisco's Bayview and the Faior Oaks section of Sunnyvale, both of which are served by light rail lines that make them perfect candidates for transit-oriented development -- as long as people don't have to leave the neighborhood to shop for food.

Reply to this post

Response to KamaAina (Reply #6)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 12:24 PM

11. It will be a huge loss for the food deserts

but I suspect the problems with the chain are their units outside of those areas. I don't live in a food desert but I do live near two Fresh & Easy stores and the stores just can't compete with the other grocery outlets. They're easy if you like self-checkout but they're not particularly fresh compared to the supermarkets or Sprouts and the products aren't priced in a way that would draw people away from other stores.

If the chain is going belly up I hope that other stores will move into the food deserts.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 01:01 PM

8. One opened locally ~ 8-9 months ago. I've heard decidedly mixed reviews.

Some, mainly singles, 2 person households, those that simply don't like to cook or don't have the time seem to appreciate the convenience. Others have panned it. I go by the store once a week and it looks slow (weekday morning, though).

I haven't checked it out beyond their slim weekly mail circular I get in the stack of other market circulars.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 07:55 PM

10. Self check out

Was the reason I never shopped there.

No one should use self check out.

Reply to this post

Response to SalviaBlue (Reply #10)

Sat Dec 22, 2012, 12:11 PM

14. Me too.

I didn't think their prices were anything to write home about, either. Trader Joe's beats them hands down. I'll stick with Trader Joe's.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 08:27 AM

12. Good fucking riddance!

Fresh & Easy was evil:

In 2009, a series of reports from UNI Global Union accused the company of rejecting a legitimate recognition request to form a union in one California store and claimed Tesco employed only part-time workers in the U.S., thereby preventing employees from earning a living wage.

http://sandiegofreepress.org/2012/12/closing-time-at-fresh-easy/

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 22, 2012, 11:30 AM

13. Trader Joe's

is my favorite place to shop. We have several in my area. F & E is close by too, and I shop for two so I like them.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 2, 2013, 11:20 PM

15. The one local to me is pretty dumpy...and the food isn't very fresh.

I've tried shopping there several times, but end up leaving because the dairy and bread is never fresh. It's always near expiration. And they don't have many brand choices. The place is never crowded, probably because there are many alternatives within blocks, like Sprouts, Vons, Albertson's, Costco, etc. and all have fresher food and better selection.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread