HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » California (Group) » White flight in Californi...

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 02:08 PM

White flight in California

Much is made about the California "exodus" to other states that is supposedly taking place. Right-wingers, in particular, tlak much about how California is supposedly "over-taxed" and "mismanaged" by Democrats, which is supposedly why so many people are leaving California.

But a closer examination reveals that California has plenty of middle-class (and many upper-class) Americans. They just are increasingly less white.

The median household income in California, as of 2011, is around $53,000. But about 40% of Californian households make over $75,000/year. 25% make over $100,000/year. That's a fairly large high-income population.

For the very high end, California is home to over half a million multimillionaires and 80 of America's billionaires.

However...California's white population is no longer a majority and is shrinking fast.

So it's not that California is really becoming poorer. It's simply becoming more diverse and less white. We can all guess why some white people would be inclined to leave the state at this point.

4 replies, 3167 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to YoungDemCA (Original post)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 02:14 PM

1. GOOD! Perhaps we can phase out Issa and Repubs like him

in the next couple of elections. The majority of Caucasians in my state vote Republican although my group has been able to turn a few Republican voters into Democratic voters (even ONE New Gingrich fan, too!).

I'm really tired of that blowhard partisan, Issa, from Vista. I'm still amazed he was able to win re-election, what with his penchant for witch-hunting and Vista becoming increasingly progressive.

I'm so happy to read that my U.S. Rep is Rep. Joe Baca (D). He's a progressive, but he has had a couple of moments of thinking Blue Doggish - but we correct him each and every time!

Gawd how I love Twitter!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to BlueCaliDem (Reply #1)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 05:24 PM

3. Before my district was gerrymandered Issa was my Rep. now I've got Ken Calvert.

They're both lower than poop on shoes.

Reply to this post

Response to YoungDemCA (Original post)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 04:10 PM

2. My husband's white relatives who live in Arizona would love to move back to California

but it is too expensive to live here. They hate Arizona and the backwards people. But you can buy a big home and work for less in Arizona. My husband and I will never leave California except to retire to Hawaii if we can ever afford it but keep our home in San Francisco if we can swing it. I love the diversity of California and Hawaii.

Reply to this post

Response to kimbutgar (Reply #2)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 08:56 PM

4. True. i know several people who would be there if it was not such

an expensive place to live.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread