HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » California (Group) » New report shows staggeri...

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 09:35 AM

New report shows staggering influence of wine industry in Napa

Napa Valley Register / 11-30-12

What recession?

That may be the reaction from some observers of the Napa Valley wine industry upon reading a new report revealing wine production in Napa County has an economic impact of more than $13 billion annually. That’s $2 billion more than a similar study determined in pre-recession 2008.

The report, issued Thursday by the Napa Valley Vintners, states that in a county of 136,000 people, the wine industry generated two-thirds of local total employment, or 46,000 full-time-equivalent jobs. This includes workers either directly or indirectly tied to Napa Valley grapes — in wineries, vineyards, suppliers, professional services, or in tourism, which includes restaurants.

Looking farther afield, the report said the county’s wine industry generated 101,000 total full-time-equivalent jobs in California, and 303,000 jobs nationwide.

MORE: http://napavalleyregister.com/news/local/new-report-shows-staggering-influence-of-wine-industry-in-napa/article_6d673f9a-3a97-11e2-8932-0019bb2963f4.html

The article reports that Napa County’s wine production accounted for 31 percent of the value of U.S. wine sales in 2011, meaning almost one out of every three dollars spent on wine can be traced back to Napa County.

I'll drink to that!

6 replies, 941 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply New report shows staggering influence of wine industry in Napa (Original post)
Auggie Nov 2012 OP
bemildred Nov 2012 #1
niyad Nov 2012 #2
KamaAina Nov 2012 #3
Auggie Nov 2012 #5
KamaAina Nov 2012 #6
ROBROX Nov 2012 #4

Response to Auggie (Original post)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 09:58 AM

1. "staggering influence of wine"

Indeed.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 11:17 AM

2. a toast to vino!

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 12:57 PM

3. Most of us here in the Bay drink wine from Sonoma

just as good, and a better value.

And as you saw in Sideways, assuming you weren't staring at Sandra Oh , there are other growing regions all over the state. Some adventurous winemakers have even ventured up into the Sierra foothills, where they're making some decent zinfandel (the real, red kind, not the dreaded white zin).

Reply to this post

Response to KamaAina (Reply #3)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 06:20 PM

5. The thread topic is about economic impact to Napa County, not quality or value

of wine growing regions.

You'll get no argument from me that many appellations in California produce excellent wine. As for White Zinfandel, I happen to like it, along with many other Rosé wines.

BTW, who says most people in the Bay Area buy Sonomo County wine? You have numbers to prove that?

Reply to this post

Response to Auggie (Reply #5)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 07:23 PM

6. The point is, these other counties get economic value from wine, too

so if you add them together, probably over half of all the wine dollars can be traced back to California.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 04:07 PM

4. WINE IN CALIFORNIA RULES

I would rather drink a wine from the California valley versus the over advertised Napa wine. Napa is a small county and other areas have better weather and better ground for growing grapes. I guess 2/3 of the wine comes from the areas I prefer.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread