HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » California (Group) » Huell Howser quietly reti...

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 01:22 PM

Huell Howser quietly retires from public TV's 'California's Gold'

TV host Huell Howser and his humble but curious demeanor 'is retiring from filming new shows or making appearances,' his assistant says. Rumors of an illness can't be confirmed.
By Scott Collins

November 28, 2012, 6:00 a.m.

He was so good at talking to people on TV that "The Simpsons" gently mocked his folksy, aw-shucks demeanor. But now it looks as if Huell Howser intends to fade away without comment.

Howser, the white-maned public TV host with the Southern accent who's famed for blurting out "That's amazing!" during interviews, has retired from making original episodes of his program "California's Gold," which travels around the state tracking down interesting people and places. The shows air on numerous statewide public TV stations, including KCET-TV Channel 28.

Speculation that the 67-year-old Howser is seriously ill has been circulating among local TV industry veterans in recent weeks, and insiders reported that he has not been seen for months at his Los Angeles office. On Tuesday the Sacramento Bee reported that Howser was retiring but added that he doesn't wish to make an official announcement.

"Huell is retiring from filming new shows or making appearances (or interviews) but the show will continue to air in reruns for awhile," Ryan Morris, Howser's assistant, wrote in an email to The Times. "We have been gradually winding down all year but Huell has decided to stop, come December 31st."

More: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-1128-huell-howser-20121128,0,6710999.story

Goodbye, Huell Howser!

9 replies, 2392 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Huell Howser quietly retires from public TV's 'California's Gold' (Original post)
ellisonz Nov 2012 OP
Fence rider Nov 2012 #1
OnionPatch Nov 2012 #2
Starboard Tack Nov 2012 #3
ellisonz Nov 2012 #6
petronius Nov 2012 #4
ROBROX Nov 2012 #5
Auggie Nov 2012 #7
Kablooie Dec 2012 #8
pinto Dec 2012 #9

Response to ellisonz (Original post)

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 01:32 PM

1. I am sure going to miss him

I just loved the folksy manner and down home approach he took on all of his shows. It seemed as though people would open up wide for him and you could tell that they genuinely enjoyed talking to him. He is a treasure.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 05:35 PM

2. No!

My family and I love Huell. We moved to CA in '95 and we'll always be grateful to him for helping us learn so many cool things about our new home. Thanks, Huell!

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 08:50 PM

3. Bummer. We will miss him.

I've been watching him for 23 years. What a breath of fresh air he is.

Reply to this post

Response to Starboard Tack (Reply #3)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 04:47 AM

6. As far as I can tell...

...he's a solid, honest, and earnest guy.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 11:13 PM

4. I really really hope the illness rumors are untrue - Huell is a true California treasure,

and he deserves a long happy retirement...

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 12:03 AM

5. CALIFORNIA'S GOLD FOREVER

I know his programs will continue to be broadcast because they are that entertaining and interesting. This man made exploring California so fun that his shows will be playing for YEARS.

Who has to travel and see the many interesting places in the state when we can watch CALIFORNIA GOLD or the other programs about parks, etc. Then we can go see the place ourselves. I like the interviews with people he meets on the road and his questions. The hundred of miles that are required to see so much in one state.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 09:27 AM

7. Great show. Great host.

I'll miss it too

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 04:20 PM

8. I've visited quite a few new places because of his show.

And learned about a lot more.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 10:15 PM

9. Good guy. And a great show. Hope he's well and enjoys his retirement.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread