HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » California (Group) » Tar Sands Oil Producers E...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 10:24 AM

Tar Sands Oil Producers Eye California

This is a week old but it is important for us to be aware of it...

Tar Sands Oil Producers Eye California
Wednesday, 23 November 2011 10:04 By Ngoc Nguyen, New America Media

<>
Last week, Canadian firms bought up thousands of miles of existing pipeline in the U.S. Midwest, intending to reverse oil flows southward to Gulf Coast refineries – a “workaround” that would get oil flowing in the right direction, but still not enough to accommodate the volume of crude being produced.

A second – lesser known -- alternative involves piping tar sands oil westward across Canada to Vancouver, where it would reach West Coast refineries by tanker. California, which up until now has remained out of the fray in the fight over tar sands oil, would be key to such a northern pacific route.

“California is the prize,” said Greg Karras, senior scientist with Oakland-based Communities for a Better Environment. “It’s where the industry is going. They have this gigantic reserve of fundamentally dirtier oil that they want to exploit, sitting above the best refining country in the world.”

The Golden State is well-positioned to take in tar sands oil, a heavier, lower quality crude that requires intensive processing, Karras said. Its oil refineries, in the last few years, have undergone upgrades to process heavier crude, and the state’s ports provide an easy gateway to Asia.
<>
“If it’s sold through the Pacific, it’s more likely to end up in California refineries,” he said. “ Keystone XL is not going to stop it from getting produced, it just changes the direction it flows.”

http://truth-out.org/news/item/5157

4 replies, 729 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Tar Sands Oil Producers Eye California (Original post)
antiquie Nov 2012 OP
bemildred Nov 2012 #1
Turbineguy Nov 2012 #2
antiquie Nov 2012 #3
ROBROX Nov 2012 #4

Response to antiquie (Original post)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 10:36 AM

1. I hope they like cap-n-trade. That's the law here.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 10:40 AM

2. Good idea!

Maybe they can mine Yosemite. That place is an eye sore anyway!

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 08:30 PM

4. CALIFORNIA HERE WE COME

California has a big thirst for oil. I understand that Texas was going to refine and export. Could the same practice happen in California?

Would Canada be willing to invest in a pipe line west versus south or east?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread