HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » California (Group) » Brian Bilbray Concedes In...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 03:48 PM

Brian Bilbray Concedes In 52nd Congressional Race

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2012/nov/16/brian-bilbray-concedes-race-52nd-congressional-dis/

Brian Bilbray Concedes In 52nd Congressional Race

Friday, November 16, 2012
By Susan Murphy and City News Service

Rep. Brian Bilbray, R-Solana Beach, conceded defeat today to Democratic San Diego Port Commissioner Scott Peters in the close race for the 52nd Congressional District.

Peters led by about 3,875 votes as of Thursday afternoon out of about 269,000 tallied in the Nov. 6 election. About 120,000 mail-in or provisional ballots still need to be counted, according to the San Diego County Registrar of Voters.

"With the majority of votes counted, I would like to congratulate Scott Peters in his bid to serve the citizens of the 52nd Congressional District and the people of San Diego,'' Bilbray said, adding that he called Peters to congratulate him.

<snip>

"I endeavored to open my colleagues' eyes to the promise of renewable fuels that will one day curb our dependence on foreign oil. And finally, something very close to me, reforming the bureaucracy to get cures to patients faster and increasing medical research funding to one day turn cancer into a manageable disease,'' Bilbray said.

<snip>

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-bilbray-concedes-20121117,0,4906060.story

Rep. Bilbray concedes defeat to Peters in 52nd District race

By Tony Perry, Los Angeles Times
November 17, 2012

SAN DIEGO Ten days after the last vote was cast, Rep. Brian Bilbray (R-Carlsbad) conceded defeat Friday to Democratic challenger Scott Peters in the high-spending, mudslinging contest in the 52nd District.

<snip>

Peters, 54, an environmental lawyer and former San Diego City Council member, held a 50.92%-to-49.08% edge over Bilbray, 61, who has served six terms in Congress.

The race was the final congressional contest to be decided in California. Bilbray joins Mary Bono Mack of Palm Springs and Dan Lungren of suburban Sacramento as congressional Republicans from California defeated by the cumulative impact of redistricting, demographic change and a strong turnout among Democrats.

The state's congressional delegation stands at 38 Democrats and 15 Republicans.

<snip>

2 replies, 809 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Brian Bilbray Concedes In 52nd Congressional Race (Original post)
bananas Nov 2012 OP
struggle4progress Nov 2012 #1
SoapBox Nov 2012 #2

Response to bananas (Original post)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 04:00 PM

1. hallelujah!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to bananas (Original post)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 04:50 PM

2. I'm tell'n ya...

it does keep getting better.

Not perfect but....2014 and 2016, BRING It!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread