HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » California (Group) » What should a California ...

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 03:22 PM

What should a California Supermajority do?

What should a California Supermajority do?

To clarify the issue, if the Democrats vote as a bloc, they can do the following (which they can't do with a simple majority):

1. Raise revenue
2. Create Constitutional Amendments that can be voted on by the people in the next (or special) election.
3. Override a governor's veto

They have at least a one or two-member cushion in each chamber, so a lone wolf could not gum up the works without a partner or two.

Frankly, this is our opportunity to fundamentally transform the state to a robust, progressive state that is necessary for both our people and our planet to survive. This thread is meant to put out ideas that can be woven into actual bill items. I will make the contacts with EACH democratic office in the legislature.

As a minimum, the first thing the legislature should do is to kill the 1978 law, Proposition 13. Specifically, not to repeal the actual law, but to legislatively negate its effects, and tailor it so we can get our money back from the corporate loophole ingrates.

In addition, we need to look into penalizing companies leaving the state because they refuse to acquiesce to much-needed reforms, including adherence to Obamacare mandates and the new environmental standards that kick in next spring.

So let's create a list, filter it, massage it, then I'll communicate with each democratic member's office and push it.

24 replies, 2743 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 24 replies Author Time Post
Reply What should a California Supermajority do? (Original post)
BanTheGOP Nov 2012 OP
jberryhill Nov 2012 #1
codjh9 Nov 2012 #2
abelenkpe Nov 2012 #3
SoCalNative Nov 2012 #4
villager Nov 2012 #5
SDjack Nov 2012 #9
LonePirate Nov 2012 #7
Tumbulu Nov 2012 #12
mitchtv Nov 2012 #6
Tumbulu Nov 2012 #11
Starry Messenger Nov 2012 #15
We are Devo Nov 2012 #16
antiquie Nov 2012 #17
BanTheGOP Nov 2012 #8
jenw2 Nov 2012 #10
BanTheGOP Nov 2012 #13
alp227 Nov 2012 #19
BanTheGOP Nov 2012 #20
alp227 Nov 2012 #21
BanTheGOP Nov 2012 #22
alp227 Nov 2012 #23
BanTheGOP Nov 2012 #24
malexand Nov 2012 #14
BanTheGOP Nov 2012 #18

Response to BanTheGOP (Original post)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 03:22 PM

1. Govern

That state has rendered itself virtually ungovernable without a supermajority.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 03:23 PM

2. Deport the remaining Republicans!

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 03:25 PM

3. Pass single payer

Reply to this post

Response to abelenkpe (Reply #3)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 03:28 PM

4. Exactly

Reply to this post

Response to SoCalNative (Reply #4)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 03:30 PM

5. exactly exactly!

Healthcare, and even more visionary climate change response

Reply to this post

Response to villager (Reply #5)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 03:38 PM

9. Make ObamaCare so good that Rethugs can't rip out its roots. Then, for the next 40 years,

no goper can be elected without signing the pledge to do no harm to ObamaCare. Congrats on your super majority.

Reply to this post

Response to abelenkpe (Reply #3)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 03:32 PM

7. A single payer health care system would benefit not only CA but the entire nation

It would serve as a model for other states and for the federal government as well.

They should also pass marriage equality again if the US Supreme Court overturns the ruling in the Prop 8 case.

Reply to this post

Response to LonePirate (Reply #7)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 06:19 PM

12. Yes!!!!!! nt

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 03:30 PM

6. remove commercial property from Prop 13 coverage

It's time

Reply to this post

Response to mitchtv (Reply #6)

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 06:18 PM

11. Yes!!!!!! nt

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 07:34 AM

15. This.

LLC's are buying foreclosed homes at auctions, just compounding this problem. Time to end the corporate gravy train.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 11:26 AM

16. I hope not!

My small piece of commercial property is all I've got. I inherited it from my parents who bought in 1963. I can't work due to my health so this keeps me alive.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 02:17 PM

17. Keep the baby; toss the bathwater.

Just stop the corporate game-playing with commercial property and preserve the benefit for those it was intended to protect. If a building is part of a sale from one entity to another, it should lose its prop 13 protection, regardless if they change the property's title.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 03:36 PM

8. Change the meeting laws to shut out GOP input

As a supermajority, they can severely restrict the options the GOP has, including rejection of bills before consideration. They should also vote by a process called "partisan unanimity." This means that the votes are called by party, rather than alphabetically, with the caveat that once enough votes are cast that reaches a majority + 1, the voting STOPS at that point. This will allow the vote to be reported as a UNANIMOUS vote which allows us to control the message more. A supermajority can set the voting in committees to follow this process, which if used properly can make it harder for the GOP to explain themselves to their constituents.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 03:45 PM

10. Higher corporate taxes to encourage companies to move to CA

or at least not move out of the state. If the taxes were higher, the state could offer more benefits to having a business in the state. The company I work for now moved out of the county into a city that had a 1.5% BO tax. I hear my conservative boss and owner whine constantly about that tax, but they know damn well they get more back from it, or they wouldn't have moved here. The proof is in the facts except for with their type.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2012, 06:27 PM

13. What Constitutional Amendments can they put on the ballot?

With the supermajority, they can put any measure on the ballot without the preapproval of thousands of signatures, and only require a simple majority of the population. What are some amendment requests do you have for California?

1. Affirmative Action amendment: Require every business, organization, and association to ethnic, racial, and gender-based categories for their ownership, management, and complete management, student, or employment base. Establish fines for not achieving compliance with formulas set by agencies appointed by a newly-formed Committee on Diversified Associations.

2. Maximum income + General worth tax amendment (Income $X, Assets $Y): Requires income amounts, dividend amounts, and a percentage of the amount of all global assets to be repatriated by the state. It's a two-part fee; first all income and dividends are added up to a single figure. If this figure comes out to over $X, then ALL amounts over X are owed the state, MINUS the federal taxes owed. Second, all assets (including the income and dividend return after taxes), such as worth of house, cars, etc., would be assessed; if they are over amount $Y, then the amount owed would be Assets minus $Y.

3. Reparations amendment: Separate from the Affirmative Action amendment, this amendment would acknowledge the debt owed to African Americans by the country. The amount would allow the state to precisely calculate the prorated amount of debt by non-African Americans that will be used to fund African-American projects, and African Americans whom can prove lineage to slaves can apply for special family funds.

More amendment ideas, please.

Reply to this post

Response to BanTheGOP (Reply #13)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 02:07 AM

19. Reparations? Affirmative action amendment? WTF? Wow.

These ideas are way too off the deep end and will only inflame the Tea Party/Tim Donnelly/George Runner/libertarian types in this state. Remember, Prop 30 nearly lost and eventually got 52% I think of the vote. And the right wing media infrastructure doesn't need any more ammo.

Reply to this post

Response to alp227 (Reply #19)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 05:45 PM

20. That is why we need the Supermajority to go all out the next two years

Let's be honest: The baggers are ALREADY pissed, and it doesn't matter one way or the other if we repatriated the rich's money or sit around drinking tea. So my point is, of COURSE we do anything, and everything, while we have that advantage.

So yes, let's do everything we can do that we know for sure has a supermajority. Keep in mind that we are also getting over a thousand new progressive voters each day in California, most through Latino migration, so we won't be in danger of losing the Supermajority.

We can even become the first state which opens its borders completely with Mexico. As long as we have a Democratic administration, there is nothing the feds can do to stop it.

Reply to this post

Response to BanTheGOP (Reply #20)

Sat Nov 10, 2012, 11:28 PM

21. Just because something is capable of being done doesn't make it right.

I'm getting a bit suspicious when I'm reading the ideas you're posting, honestly. California is in enough a mess without dealing with these divisive social issues like affirmative action etc.

Reply to this post

Response to alp227 (Reply #21)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 08:25 PM

22. Suspicious as WHAT? Needed progressive reforms??

I don't understand your point. We need to tackle as much as we can while we have the chance. It's imperative for the future of our children and our society that we start to right the multitudinous wrongs 100% caused by the GOP.

Reply to this post

Response to BanTheGOP (Reply #22)

Sun Nov 11, 2012, 08:27 PM

23. Do you think reparations and quotas REALLY will help the children of CA? nt

Reply to this post

Response to alp227 (Reply #23)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 01:35 PM

24. Absolutely!

The only people it "hurts" are the children of rich people, whose only pain will come from the fact that they now will have downgrade their size of yachts. Other than that, this is an incredible resource we can develop to ensure that the proper shame and oppression by republicanist thugs throughout American history is finally brought to justice, and will ensure diversity is the rule of law.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 07:25 AM

14. Education of all California residents is our most important investment

Thank you “Ban the GOP.”

What deadline do we want to establish for input into our list of priorities?

It would be helpful to ask Democratic members from both chambers, the leaders, and Governor Brown for their goals, priorities, strategies, etc. and indicate our group is developing a list of our priorities. Demonstrating our interest in providing input and being on the team will give us more credibility.

Identifying who we are rather some secret anonymous group would also give us more credibility. I would be interested in knowing who you are and others who are interested in this project, which is a great idea, but overwhelming. It may be helpful to work offline.

Will you share the suggested list of priorities from our DU group before you contact each Democratic member of the Assembly and Senate?

Kind regards,

Michael
Davis, CA

Reply to this post

Response to malexand (Reply #14)

Fri Nov 9, 2012, 06:59 PM

18. Great offer. To be blunt, this was a joyous unexpected windfall

I knew that the repukes were going down in California, and I knew we probably had the Assembly Supermajority, but I didn't think we would win the Senate SM; I actually calculated 4 seats short. So my priority wasn't on working with a Supermajority.

Let's put this in perspective: If we play our cards right, this Democrats can control the agenda with no GOP distractions. The ability for committees to shut out GOP input is much easier, for instance, which helps us facilitate the agenda. Finally, my focus has shifted not just from legislative bill passing, but in actually altering the Constitution to a more progressive and globally inclusive document, and even approach following UN and International conventions, bypassing elements of the US Constitution. This can ONLY be initiated with a solid supermajority, and in this way we can work with a progressive federal government, or, if the unthinkable happens and the country turns moderate or fascist, we can lean toward breaking away from many of the federal constraints and approach those of Mexico or other progressive international formats.

Let me clarify: I am looking long range, and maintaining a focus on long range goals mandates a process that involves integrating with global ideals, and not comparmentalizing within the constraints of a short-sighted national process. President Obama, who is currently the best president since FDR, will most probably become the greatest president in US History, especially as we integrate ourselves with global ideals. Bottom line: we have to lok BEYOND the US when we become one with the world, and one that ESPECIALLY does not include the American republican party. But we have to remain vigilant and make sure it stays down, and destroy it while we have a chance.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread