HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » California (Group) » CA Gov. Brown is using CA...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Oct 25, 2012, 08:05 PM

CA Gov. Brown is using CA's $410.5 million Mortgage Settlement to pay off CA's $15.7B deficit

instead of using the money for what it was intended: to help prevent foreclosures with programs like down payment assistance, foreclosure counseling and financial literacy training.

State AG Kamala Harris is furious.

The settlement set aside more than $2 billion for the 49 participating states and the District of Columbia -- money that was supposed to help prevent foreclosures with programs like down payment assistance, foreclosure counseling and financial literacy training.

Unfortunately (perhaps predictably), as the money reached the states, the wheels went off the tracks. In California, Attorney General Kamala Harris exulted about the good the settlement would do for people in her state, hard-hit by the foreclosure crisis. "Hundreds of thousands of California homeowners will benefit," said Harris, as her office took steps to "ensure the settling banks deliver on their promises."

The state AG's gaveth and just like that, the state governors tooketh away! Over Harris's strenuous objections, California Governor Jerry Brown took every penny of the state's $410.5 million in settlement money -- even though applying that sum to California's hemorrhaging $15.7 billion budget deficit is like putting a Band-Aid on a gunshot wound.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/adam-levin/mortgage-settlement-funds_b_2018307.html

WTF is Governor Brown doing?? He refuses to champion making oil companies pay for extracting our oil; he refuses to tax corporations; and finally, he refuses universal health care for CA (CA OneCare) . . . is he even a Democrat??

14 replies, 2054 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 14 replies Author Time Post
Reply CA Gov. Brown is using CA's $410.5 million Mortgage Settlement to pay off CA's $15.7B deficit (Original post)
BlueCaliDem Oct 2012 OP
TDale313 Oct 2012 #1
BlueCaliDem Oct 2012 #5
virgogal Oct 2012 #2
BlueCaliDem Oct 2012 #4
Hemp_is_good Oct 2012 #6
BlueCaliDem Oct 2012 #7
Hemp_is_good Oct 2012 #8
AnotherMcIntosh Nov 2012 #13
mike_c Oct 2012 #3
IndyJones Oct 2012 #9
Le Taz Hot Oct 2012 #10
BlueCaliDem Oct 2012 #11
Le Taz Hot Oct 2012 #12
AnotherMcIntosh Nov 2012 #14

Response to BlueCaliDem (Original post)

Thu Oct 25, 2012, 08:08 PM

1. Seems like he's also

Jumped on the public sector pension reform bandwagon. Sigh.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to TDale313 (Reply #1)

Thu Oct 25, 2012, 09:46 PM

5. Oh jeebus. Not that, too.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 25, 2012, 08:09 PM

2. Governor Moonbeam at it again,eh?

Reply to this post

Response to virgogal (Reply #2)

Thu Oct 25, 2012, 09:44 PM

4. Was he the best the Democratic Party was able to produce

in 2010? Because the way he's been governing, he doesn't appear to be a Democrat anymore.

Reply to this post

Response to BlueCaliDem (Reply #4)

Fri Oct 26, 2012, 02:01 AM

6. The problem is that he actually has GOOD track record

these actions are completely counter to everything he has done before.
it makes no sense why he's doing this

Reply to this post

Response to Hemp_is_good (Reply #6)

Fri Oct 26, 2012, 02:25 AM

7. I know he's a budget-balancing hawk, but sheesh. Don't the people matter

more than balancing the budget? And why hasn't he championed California OneCare? That would help bring down the deficit. What about charging oil conglomerates for extracting our oil? Being that we're the ONLY state of all oil producing states in the Union, why are we letting billions of dollars a year in revenue slip away?

It just doesn't makes sense to me. Maybe I'm seeing things too simply, but dang. There are so many other ways to balance the budget other than on the backs of the already overburdened CA taxpayer.

I'm too young to remember how Jerry Brown was as governor before, but from what I've read so far, he was pretty liberal and he actually cared about Californians. Now it only seems as if he cares about closing the budget deficit by any and all means - even if it means hurting the very people who need help the most.

Reply to this post

Response to BlueCaliDem (Reply #7)

Fri Oct 26, 2012, 04:38 PM

8. Sorry that should have been H A D a good record...

i'm as shocked as the rest that he's fighting all the progressive legislation.
I swear they could probably fix most of California's problems if he'd let the legislature do their job!

Reply to this post

Response to BlueCaliDem (Reply #4)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 01:43 PM

13. Falsely implying that Democrats with whom you disagree of being disloyal is a McCarthy tactic.

You seem to do this regularly.

In a recent post, when you disagreed with something that I posted, you falsely implied that I was disloyal and falsely said that I was "Jill Stein voter or a Gary Johnson voter. Maybe even a wayward Ron Paul supporter. You sure as hell didn't vote for President Obama."

How often do you do this?

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 25, 2012, 08:13 PM

3. Brown is a mixed blessing, at best....

eom

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 27, 2012, 02:34 AM

9. And yet we should trust him with a tax increase with Prop 30 to help schools?

I'll bet Harris is red hot over this. She worked hard to get that settlement and I have so much respect for her because of it. Wow, just wow.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 29, 2012, 02:32 AM

10. And he hasn't said Word One

about the feds coming into his state and closing down dispensaries and he vetoed the Hemp Legalization Bill. Not to mention he's trying to balance the budget on the backs of the poor an middle class. Jerry Brown hasn't been a liberal in decades. He won on his past liberal credentials. Unfortunately, I'm sure he'll run again and he, of course, has the full backing of the CDP so there will be no challengers allowed.

Reply to this post

Response to Le Taz Hot (Reply #10)

Mon Oct 29, 2012, 02:43 AM

11. This is very depressing to read.

I was hoping he'd live up to his past credentials, but at the moment, all I see is a Republican-Lite. Heck, maybe even a moderate Republican.

I sure do hope he'll be challenged by another Democrat. If he keeps pissing off the public sector unions, he's in for a world of hurt.

Is the California Democratic Party even progressive? Too many blue-doggish like Democrats are being promoted by them while they fight California OneCare, refuse to tax oil conglomerates extracting OUR oil, and refuse to tax corporations. The CDP sure reeks of Republicans.

Reply to this post

Response to BlueCaliDem (Reply #11)

Mon Oct 29, 2012, 03:21 AM

12. The CDP

went Third Way awhile ago. They basically take their orders from the National Party and National started cozying up to big corps when Clinton came in and started taking over right wing ideologies (welfare "reform," elimination of Glass-Steagall, NAFTA). It's how the working class and middle class (read unions) lost their representation.

Brown has always been and will always be a Good Party Boy and will do whatever he's told by the Party Bosses. If you look at how he governed in Oakland he really wasn't all that progressive.

Any challenger would be starved out by the CDP so unless he decides not to run (doubt this will happen) we're stuck with him for another 4 years after this term.

Reply to this post

Response to BlueCaliDem (Reply #11)

Mon Nov 26, 2012, 01:44 PM

14. Falsely implying that Democrats with whom you disagree of being disloyal is a McCarthy tactic.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread