HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » California (Group) » L.A. Public Library inher...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Oct 19, 2012, 12:10 PM

L.A. Public Library inherits treasure of maps (LA Times)

-- Snip --

Stashed everywhere in the 948-square-foot tear-down were maps. Tens of thousands of maps. Fold-out street maps were stuffed in file cabinets, crammed into cardboard boxes, lined up on closet shelves and jammed into old dairy crates. Wall-size roll-up maps once familiar to schoolchildren were stacked in corners. Old globes were lined in rows atop bookshelves also filled with maps and atlases.

-- Snip --

"He has every type of map imaginable. There's a 1956 pictorial map of Lubbock, Texas. He's got a 1942 Jack Renie Street Guide of Los Angeles," Creason said. "He has four of the first Thomas Bros. guides from 1946. Those are very hard to find. The one copy we have is falling apart because it's been so heavily used. We had to photocopy it."

Gingerly fingering an atlas-sized 1918 map with a faded blue cover, Creason opened it up to show the National Map Co.'s "Official Paved Road" guide to the United States. The tattered pages illustrated the location of paved roads with red and blue ink.

Creason was also enthralled by the discovery of several "Mapfox" Los Angeles street guides published in 1944. Creason said in his 32-year library career he had never seen one. Also tucked into Feathers' collection was a pocket-size "Geographia Authentic Atlas and Guide to London and Other Suburbs," showing streets, parks, lakes and rivers that Creason dated as pre-World War I.

-- Snip --

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-map-house-20121019,0,2619000.story

Really a fascinating find - hope the Library organizes a map display sometime soon...

2 replies, 783 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply L.A. Public Library inherits treasure of maps (LA Times) (Original post)
petronius Oct 2012 OP
Cleita Oct 2012 #1
petronius Oct 2012 #2

Response to petronius (Original post)

Fri Oct 19, 2012, 04:26 PM

1. How fortuitous that the person hired to throw away the contents of the house

had a mother who specialized in library science. All those docs could have ended up in a landfill.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Cleita (Reply #1)

Fri Oct 19, 2012, 08:37 PM

2. That was really lucky, although it makes me wonder how many times

we didn't get lucky and something important was lost.

This was a pretty close call, I think - it would not have been easy to recognize the value of a jumble of old maps. Major kudos to the real estate agent!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread