HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » California (Group) » Amazon CA Sales Tax begin...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Sep 5, 2012, 01:08 PM

Amazon CA Sales Tax begins September 15th: Good for California and Brick & Mortar Stores

"Depending on where they live, Californians pay 7.25% to 9.75% in sales taxes, so the savings are substantial especially on big-ticket items such as electronics. But bargain hunters are also stocking up on inexpensive goods such as food, DVDs and carpet cleaner.

The tax revenue from these online sales is being lauded as a win for the debt-ridden state, which estimates it will see an additional $317 million annually as a result; more than $83 million of that is expected to come from Amazon alone.

It's also a victory for mom-and-pop shops and big bricks-and-mortar retailers, including Wal-Mart Stores Inc. and Target Corp., which have complained for years about what they called Amazon's unfair sales tax advantage. Merchants including Best Buy Co. were especially hurt when shoppers would "showroom," or check out products at the company's stores, but ultimately buy them online to avoid paying sales taxes. Now they will be on an even playing field, they say.

The Seattle company, which for years avoided having a physical presence in California so it wouldn't have to collect sales taxes, is now opening two enormous fulfillment centers in the state. The warehouses, in San Bernardino and Patterson, are expected to bring more than 1,000 new jobs to the state. Once they're up and running, the proximity of the centers could speed up shipping times for shoppers same-day shipping, however, isn't in the plans yet."

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-amazon-shopping-spree-20120905,0,3297570.story

6 replies, 2293 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Amazon CA Sales Tax begins September 15th: Good for California and Brick & Mortar Stores (Original post)
antiquie Sep 2012 OP
WCGreen Sep 2012 #1
SoapBox Sep 2012 #2
petronius Sep 2012 #3
antiquie Sep 2012 #6
SoapBox Sep 2012 #4
antiquie Sep 2012 #5

Response to antiquie (Original post)

Wed Sep 5, 2012, 01:20 PM

1. Since Sales Tax is a regressive tax, taking a big bite out of the poor, and I applaud

this.

Before anyone jumps down my throat, hear me out...

If the funds taken from the budget by on-line purchases is returned, there is less chance that programs for the economically challenged will be cut. But it also means more people will be employed at the lower end of the pay scale.

It also means that the sales tax will not have to rise any hirer to make up for the loss of revenues.

So there is a real good reason this is good for the regular folks in California.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to WCGreen (Reply #1)

Fri Sep 14, 2012, 01:42 AM

2. but it is more money out of my pocket.

It was a little break...from being nickle and dimed at every turn.

Reply to this post

Response to SoapBox (Reply #2)

Fri Sep 14, 2012, 07:13 PM

3. What, you didn't pay your use tax each year when you filed your return?

Reply to this post

Response to SoapBox (Reply #2)

Fri Sep 14, 2012, 09:32 PM

6. I am on a tiny Kindle budget myself,

but the Mom & Pop Shops help local communities. Besides, maybe Amazon will be more generous with free and faster shipping.

This brings up the point about voting our own best interests. I often vote against my personal pocketbook for the benefit of society.

Reply to this post

Response to antiquie (Original post)

Fri Sep 14, 2012, 08:44 PM

4. And speaking of Sales Taxes in CA...did we ever get a tax on the Luxury Yachts?

Remember?

Years ago...the 1%ers would buy their Yacht and then park them in Mexico for, was it 60 or 90 days, then
bring them back, tax free!

And when that little "exclusion" for them and the luxury industry came up for discussion, to tax those items, it
was immediately shot down. The HOWLING was loud and furious...

boo-hoo...it will drive luxury yacht makers out of business...BOO-hoo, it will drive them out of state...BOO-BOO-BOO...and
all sorts of other BOO!

Status?

Reply to this post

Response to SoapBox (Reply #4)

Fri Sep 14, 2012, 09:21 PM

5. Luxury Tax

There was one, it was killed, in 2008 CA Repubs kept it from being re-instated. I haven't had much luck finding the current status.

If Prop 30 passes, the buyers will pay more income taxes before they purchase their yachts.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread