HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Arizona (Group) » Just got back from the Ar...

Tue Oct 9, 2012, 12:12 AM

Just got back from the Arizona cd1 debate between Kirkpatric and payday Patton in Tucson

The attendance was about 250/300 in my opinion. By audience response, I'd say it was about 60/40 in favor of Kirkpatric. Kirkpatric seemed competent and well prepared if a little too moderate for my taste. Patton was his usual teabag self and spent the evening spouting the usual talking points, lower taxes, less regulation, repeal Obamacare and drill baby drill. The audience was lively and vociferous with Patton being heartily boo'd on numerous occasions and even having someone yell "You lie!" when he tried to spew the lie that Obama is cutting a gazillion from medicare. Neither my wife nor I can recall Kirkpatric being boo'd once.

The libertarian candidate provided much needed comic relief and the debate would have been much diminished without him on the platform. Often, his honest answers were better than the other candidates.

Although I'm sure there were teabags in attendance, there was only one official t-shirt wearing teabag that I saw.

The absolute best part of the evening was the closing statements. kirkpatric got to go first. I thought to myself, oh shit, you always want the last word but in a stroke of political genius, She used half of her time accusing Patton of flip flopping on several issues including women's rights and the balance telling us why we should vote for her. This forced Patton to spend most of his closing trying to explain why he was not a flip flopper and when he finally got around to telling us why we should vote for him, my wife and I walked out. The last words I heard from him as we were going out the door (remember, this was a small hall and my wife and I walking out in the middle of his closing were very visible) was "I would never walk out of a town hall meeting!" Oh well, tough shit.

A good time was had by all. If you get a chance to attend one of these, it's much more fun than watching the usual talking heads on the TV.

1 replies, 804 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Just got back from the Arizona cd1 debate between Kirkpatric and payday Patton in Tucson (Original post)
OffWithTheirHeads Oct 2012 OP
Kali Oct 2012 #1

Response to OffWithTheirHeads (Original post)

Tue Oct 9, 2012, 11:31 AM

1. good report

thanks!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread