HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Arizona (Group) » Arizona’s Russell Pearce ...

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 03:41 PM

Arizona’s Russell Pearce Apologizes For Questioning Bravery Of Theater Shooting Victims

The former top Republican in the Arizona Senate apologized on Monday night for blaming the victims of the Colorado theater massacre for not having enough courage to stop the shooter.

Former Senate President Russell Pearce, who voters threw out of office in a recall last year but who is campaigning to regain his old seat, took to Facebook to say he was sorry for his commentary, which he said he wrote when “my heart was heavy.”

“There comes a time when explaining stops making sense and you are better off simply apologizing,” Pearce wrote. “So for those who were offended by my post regarding the shootings in Aurora, please accept my apologies.”
<snip??>

“Someone should have stopped this man. Someone could have stopped this man,” he wrote on Saturday morning. “All that was needed was one Courages/Brave (sic) man prepared mentally or otherwise to stop this it could have been done.”

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/07/russell-pearce-apology-shooting.php

1 replies, 788 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Arizona’s Russell Pearce Apologizes For Questioning Bravery Of Theater Shooting Victims (Original post)
JonLP24 Aug 2012 OP
mvccd1000 Aug 2012 #1

Response to JonLP24 (Original post)

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 01:08 AM

1. As nutty as this guy is...

... and without excusing him for apparently blaming the victims, I do agree with the statement that one person possibly could have stopped Holmes.

It may have come at the cost of injury or death, but picture the last words of the guy on the cell phone on the 4th flight on 9/11. He probably knew it wasn't going to end well for him, but he and the others did limit the scope of their tragedy to much less than the terrorists planned for.

Should anyone have to make that choice, or should anyone feel bad about not making it? Hell no!

I'm just opining that some people take the attitude that if it looks like you're all going to die anyway, might as well die trying to stop the guy. I'm lucky enough to have done most of the things I want to do in life; if I had to give it up today to try to stop someone like that, I'd feel reasonably content about doing so.

I hope this doesn't put me in alignment with Russell Pierce... I'll have to have my own sanity checked!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread