HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Arizona (Group) » Update on my earlier post...

Sun Feb 17, 2013, 08:55 AM

Update on my earlier post on the 3000 club food rescue

Back in the 60's, my wife and I would quit our jobs in the summer and spend a few months back packing in Yosemite national park. (yeah, there actually was a time before Reagan when you could do this). Anyway, we were in Tualome Meadows when this hippie dude came by with this big flatbed full of food and gave it all away. He called it the Free Underground Commodities Ko-op. FUCK for short. I ran into him a few years later and it turned out that one of the park vendors had a bunch of food that was nearing it's sell by date and, rather than throw it all in the landfill, he had this guy give it all away. Well, the 3000 club is sort of like that times a million!

Yesterday, one of their food distribution points was just down the hill from my house so I had to check it out. To say I was blown away is an understatement. Food distribution started at 8:00 A.M. I got there at 7:30 and there were already at least 100 people in line. People from every walk of life. This literally IS food rescue. If these good folks didn't do this, this food would end up in the landfill. And the food was amazing!

By 8:00 o'clock there were hundreds of people in line and the lines moved quickly. When you get to the front, you pay your $10.00 and they give you a box. If they have a limited amount of something, they ration it and you can only have a limited amount. Otherwise, you can have as much as you want of anything you want until your box is full. They say ABOUT 60# of food for $10.00. Nobody weighs it. You decide when your box is full.

This is my box. I needed a hand truck to move it and I had room for more.

I got a pile of Avocados the size of my fist that needed to be used that day. They were fabulous and we feasted on Guacamole last night. I got at least 10# of incredible vine ripened Tomatoes, zucchini, Butternut squash, Oranges, Lemons, English Cucumbers, some kind of Zucchini looking thing that I have never seen before, Eggplant and a pile of the most beautiful red and yellow Bell Peppers I have ever seen.

When I got home, we went through the box, took out what we thought we could use and I then drove at least 30# of produce, probably more, to my Inlaws.

I noticed that the "veterans" at the distribution showed up with one form or another of the "little red wagon". You are allowed to buy two boxes for $20.00. They would fill one box with whatever and the other box with large quantities of stuff to can or preserve. I will for sure be doing this next time and made a stop to top up my canning supplies on the way home.

This was really a lot of fun. The folks in line were really friendly. Everybody was exchanging recipes and talking about how to use the food and stuff. The best part was knowing that if we didn't get this food it would just be dumped in the landfill and that would just be a crime.

Here is the link to their website. If you sign up, they will e-mail you on friday with a list of distribution sites for that Saturday along with a list of what produce they expect to have available.

http://the3000club.org/

2 replies, 841 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Update on my earlier post on the 3000 club food rescue (Original post)
OffWithTheirHeads Feb 2013 OP
Gormy Cuss Feb 2013 #1
OffWithTheirHeads Feb 2013 #2

Response to OffWithTheirHeads (Original post)

Sun Feb 17, 2013, 09:59 AM

1. Is that "zucchini looking thing" visible in your photo in the upper left ?

That's a cousa which is a Middle Eastern summer squash that can be used very much like zucchini.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Gormy Cuss (Reply #1)

Sun Feb 17, 2013, 10:48 AM

2. Cool! Thanks!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread