HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Entertainment » TV Chat (Group) » Why Do Cable Channels Run...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 12:40 PM

Why Do Cable Channels Run Back To Back Episodes Of Their Programs All Day Versus.....

programming them in such a way that all their popular shows follow some sort of set schedule like network TV does.

For example: History Channel running a full day of episodes of Pawn Stars or American Pickers or American Restoration.

I use History Channel as an example - but other cable networks do the same. Why?

I just don't get it. Are they too lazy to program in a logical manner? Is it just easier to run all of one program all day?

What's the story.

3 replies, 883 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Why Do Cable Channels Run Back To Back Episodes Of Their Programs All Day Versus..... (Original post)
global1 Feb 2013 OP
OKNancy Feb 2013 #1
SquirrelHill4444 Feb 2013 #2
Still Blue in PDX Feb 2013 #3

Response to global1 (Original post)

Fri Feb 8, 2013, 05:07 PM

1. they run the older programs all day

I do know that some of the channels like to do "marathons".
LOL - I got sucked into the "Shahs of Sunset" on Bravo TV yesterday. I just had enough of politics.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 01:11 AM

2. Because TV show marathons get good good ratings and have loyal audiences

A person who likes that particular show will be likely to stay on that channel all day long. That itself is good for the station's ratings. In addition, those viewers will see commercials for other shows on the channel that they may end up liking.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 9, 2013, 02:37 PM

3. I like the see the endings of the shows since when they were first run I usually fell asleep. nt

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread